NBD: Pawn Shop FrankenFender ! LOTS of pics !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, May 30, 2017.

1. Maybe the original neck just had a ski jump like my 1982 Squier JV?

2. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    That body looks very similar to a Sunn Mustang bass body I had for a while. Confusingly they used the Mustang title on a Precision bass copy, license built in India! The narrow routing in the control cavity (before it was widened by the previous owner) and the bridge with the two additional holes at the front, look similar. That body has long since left the roost so I can't be sure. A Fender neck fitted on the Sunn body pefectly.

And I agree that a roadworn black/rosewood/white bass looks cool whereas a factory fresh one can look a bit bland. A worn one says 'Scott Thunes' to me:

April25.jpg

sneha1965 and Dark Horse like this.
  3. aw hell yeah! That bass has the mojo :thumbsup:

Dark Horse likes this.
  4. What a beautiful, delicious mess. I want to restore that awful bridge!!! :hyper: I wish you could send me that and use something else for a while while I keep it here for a good, solid 7-days. Some of those rust pits are terminal, but I could make a lot of that stuff go away forever.
    . .

Dark Horse likes this.
  5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The bridge that was on it was clearly a replacement...the two holes were added for the replacement bridge. The reason I can tell is that there were the original 5 screw holes in the body (for a fender bridge) when I removed it.

The routing was almost identical to "vintage spec", which would be consistent with an eighties reissue.

As for the Pickguard tip breaking off, it's clearly due to shrinkage....when you compare to a new guard, you can see that the curvature has changed slightly. The replacement guard fit the body just fine.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Flaked Beans and Axstar like this.
  6. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Alright, ignore my nonsense about Sunn Mustangs! Sounds like you've worked out the body, and it sounds like a way better deal than a Sunn! The Sunn body I had didn't smell right when I drilled it.

As for the pickguard missing a section, maybe James Jamerson owned it!

Dark Horse likes this.
  7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    What about the knobs? I thought they were the best part...

Dark Horse likes this.
  8. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

It's funny, I never really liked those knobs. They sell them at RadioShack in the parts bin. Just always seemed like a cheap replacement knob to me. But that's just my own personal taste. Theyre also the knobs that are on the old boss pedals.

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Indeed. That is a mij fender body from the '80s of course and the bass looks nice now! Great job and excellent deal!

Dark Horse likes this.
  10. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Sell, Sell, Sell......

Good job. And the final unveiling shows a bass worth much, much more than what you paid.... especially if you offload the tort 'guard. :bassist::bassist:

Dark Horse likes this.
  11. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Thanks! Yeah, I just wanted to get it to a functional, cleaner, workhorse bass state.

Still deciding what to do with the Pickguard, but I will most likely sell it. Just toss it up on eBay and see if anyone wants it!

I absolutely love how the old vintage guards look, but in this case it may provide me with a free or near free BASS!

BAG likes this.
  12. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

They're the same as used on Rickenbackers.

Wisebass likes this.
  13. LarryG

LarryG

Oct 30, 2001
    SWFL
    Great job, Dark... and you went at it fast!

Would love to hear your comments on intonation, action and sound.

/L

Dark Horse likes this.
  14. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Intonation is pretty perfect, little odd that the A string saddle had to be put where it is, but sometimes that happens. But it's good all the way up and down the neck. Action is nice and low, still clean. The neck is, though cosmetically challenged, super solid. Nice and straight, no ski jump, and knocked into place just perfectly. As far as "how this sounds", I will know more after tonight, tomorrow, and Saturdays gigs. I have only tried it in my little tiny Ampeg home bass rig, but it sounded very good through that. This weekend I'll be using it in my regular direct rig, which is ....

Bass--->TC Spark--->Aguilar Filter--->Boss TU3--->REDDI

It is been years since I've used the Seymour Duncan quarter pounder's. I wasn't super fond of them at that time, but I'm keeping an open mind. Going to see how it sounds in this particular set up, with this particular band. The other P bass that's out with me has Lollar pickups, so competition is stiff :p

Anyway, I will report back with thoughts on how it did on the gig.

Have an awesome day!

Wisebass likes this.
  15. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Dark Horse :) obviously....

IMG_8353.JPG

your teeth are sharper than the beaver' s :D:thumbsup:

looks like we have the same philosphy (use what you have, best mods come for free):hyper:
    and the same taste for black and white 80s basses....and for some details :D...

well I was talking about ...em... skulls? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::roflmao:

Great thread! Enjoy playing her :bassist:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Dark Horse likes this.
  16. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

:p

Yep, this has been a fun rebuild.... I'm glad you dig it !

Similar taste ....

Wisebass likes this.
  17. ProgressiveDoom

ProgressiveDoom Guest

Mar 31, 2017
    I personally I like the relic look so I would just remove the stickers but seriously, how the hell is there so much rust? was this found at the bottom of a salt water lake before the pawn shop got it?.. Damn!.

Dark Horse likes this.
  18. ProgressiveDoom

ProgressiveDoom Guest

Mar 31, 2017
    Now that is a Jazz bass I could get interested in.:thumbsup:

Dark Horse and Malak the Mad like this.
  19. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    Love it. I also recently rehabbed a pawn shop bass. Fun projects, and they make you realize that looks are overrated in our instruments. How do they feel? How do they sound? THE two most important things.
    Which leads me to remember, since you have an unfinished rosewood board, it may benefit from a process called "rolling." I did this by using a box cutter (razor) and scraping away the edge on the fingerboard. Google it.
    And, I sanded away a lot of the finish on the back of the neck. No worries about ruining it, because it didn't cost me much.

Congrats again on your new old bass.

Dark Horse likes this.
  20. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I've done something similar to a Strat. I picked up a used MIM Strat that had clearly been used hard for a short period then forgotten about for a decade or so. There were some dings in the neck, so I filled the deepest with superglue and then sanded off the factory lacquer and gave it multiple coats of boiled linseed oil. The deepest dents went through the lacquer into the wood, hence the superglue. I leveled the frets and rolled the edges of the board. I didn't scrape the wood away, but simply burnished the edges with the shaft of a screwdriver (the round metal section before the plastic handle). I tend to only roll up to fret 12, and make sure not to get too close to the fret ends, instead rolling in an elliptical pattern around the mid-point of the wood between each fret.

Rehabbing a hibernating instrument is good fun! I just need a few more parts to appear and I will have this Strat back up and running.

Dark Horse likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021