1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Pearl P-Bass (Japan '75)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wingum, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Wingum

Wingum

Mar 10, 2014
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1411324497.114698. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1411324515.947600.
    Today I got this one home. A precision bass made in Japan probably in the seventies (and most probably '75 according to the previous owner).

It plays absolutely wonderful. A real fat and smooth P-bass tone. A neck to die for. Beatiful low action and no fret buzz at all. Quite heavy and seems to be very well build. Bone nut. There has probably been a bridge and a pick-up cover present at some point that unfortunately has been lost over the past 39 years.

It is branded Pearl, but I haven't found too much info on Pearl when it comes to basses. So if anyone has anything to say about it, I would be happy!:)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    3rdworlder and zbigniew like this.
  2. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Loks great!

3. Wingum

Wingum

Mar 10, 2014
    Thanks!:)

4. squierfretles84

squierfretles84

Sep 24, 2005
    Though this thread is already more than five years old :rolleyes:...
    A Pearl Precision Bass like this was my very first bass, bought (used) in 1986 (sold in 1990 :banghead: ). (Just with a white pickguard - I didn't like this colour too much ;).)

I remember that it was very much like Wingum has described it :thumbsup:. As for neck, body and hardware, I didn't notice a big difference between this Pearl and even the 1984 Squier JV Jazz Bass that became my main bass about a year later, my favourite bass up to this day.

Just the pickup of the Pearl Bass could have been better: when I compared it to the neck PU of a 1981 Fender Jazz that I got some years later, the Fender neck PU had much more bass and power.

So maybe the Pearl Precision might be an extremely fine bass with a Fender replacement PU. :hyper:

Michael

Dec1975 likes this.