1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Peavey Fury early 80s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afireinside, Jun 18, 2020.

1. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    So found one on marketplace pretty cheapish. 1st run 1 super ferrite. Ok condition definitely a player. But the relief is really high..... nut is adjusted all the way it appears. I hope it can be fixed with washers/spacer.... im taking it to Koontz as soon as i can so he can get a eye and see if it needs to be clamped/heated or just washers. Worst case i should be able to break even parting it out.....

Attached Files:

2. Bleecker

Bleecker Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Westport NY. USA
    Cool bass. Good luck with it.
    Cheers!

Thegrandwazoo likes this.
  3. Very Nice indeed :thumbsup:.

4. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Using a 5/16” box wrench, remove the truss rod nut by turning to the left. Place 2 washers on the truss rod. Place a small dab of petroleum jelly on the nut threads, then reinstall nut.
    upload_2020-6-29_19-38-45.png

DavidEdenAria and Big Shrek like this.
  5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I saw that bass and almost offered to trade for it- picture was a little blurry on the post if I remember correctly.
    Congrats! Bass looks to be in otherwise good condition from your pics, hope the neck is fixable and you'll be getting a pretty awesome bass for the money. The original knobs by themselves are worth most of the cost of the bass. :)

6. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Nice wood pattern. Give me a nice grain and I can go from there. Peavey offered some nice selections back in the day.

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  7. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    What measurement is the relief? ....I assume more that .012-.015 ..?
    I assume you are aware that those monster sized bridge saddles will not allow for low action without shimming the neck or using the micro-tilt mechanism.

DavidEdenAria and Maxdusty like this.
  8. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    So i did put some washers on myself 4 to be exact and was able to get more adjustment of the truss/straiter neck but it eventually became harder to turn again so i just took it in. Not sure the measurement but very high the nut had a ton of threads showing. He has been slammed and hasent gotten to it yet so will hopefully find out soon

9. Nice score. Love me some old Peaveys. (I have a Fury and a Dynabass).

Criminally underrated; as I am sure you are aware.

10. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Oh yes i have a closet queen 1982 t40. And a early 90s black foundation with the vfl soapbars to go with this 83 fury. I had a mint black super ferrite late 80s about 10 years ago i let go..... mint and bought then sold for $80 i think..... stupid

11. Landsharks

Landsharks

Jul 24, 2009
    Oxford, MS
    Love this bass. Still kicking myself for not buying one of these from a pawnshop for $75. Nice score!

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  12. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Truss rod is not for string height adjustment. Are you saying you placed 4 washers under the truss rod nut and you still couldn’t get the neck straight or in a slight back bow?

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    This.
    Looking at the first picture, it looks like the saddles are already as low as they can go. If the neck is relatively straight but the action is still high and gets higher the further up the neck you go, you may need to shim the bass if the microtilt doesn't fix the string height adequately. I'm guessing the neck angle in relation to the body is too far forward causing the string height to progressively increase going up the fretboard, I've seen this happen on some older basses usually. Put a shim on the back end of the neck pocket closest to the body.

Thegrandwazoo likes this.
  14. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Nice!

15. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes the neck would not go strait or even any backbow. Mike Koontz called said he manipulated it to low action/setup. Said he wasent totally sure if it would stay (voicemail havent actually talked to him) i may put a set of light strings on her for less tension. Suggestions? I usually use DR mediums i believe

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    had something similar happen to an Ibanez Iceman. The truss rod wouldn't budge, I loosened all the strings for a few days, let is sit and tried to adjust it again, the truss rod moved and I was able to get it pretty close to straight. I put D'Addario light strings EXL170 on it, and the neck didn't budge thereafter.

17. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Not unusual...i always take tension off by loosening strings and applying a bit of back pressure to assist with straightening the bow...had to do this several times on my 85 Foundation but my 1st gen Fury like yours didnt need as many turns...very cool basses the 1st gen Furys...mine is light and the neck profile and feel is outstanding! Hope yours turns out as good as mine!

18. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    You don't want completely straight or backbow.
    How much relief? A number gives some idea of what you are speaking about.
    Neck relief at the seventh fret should be .008 to .012 to .015 at most.
    What did he manipulate? ..truss rod? ..bridge saddles? ..neck tilt? ...or all of those?

19. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Assuming Mike is doing the complete setup, which sounds like a good idea, you probably need to choose from strings Mike has at the shop, unless you can buy them somewhere else and drop them off.

I’ll suggest Dunlop Super Brights 40-100. Less fret clack noise than DR Sunbeams. Less tension if that’s what you want. If you like them on that bass, let me know and I’ll try them too.

You might want to get some suggestions from people who play with that type of pickup because it’s a little different.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 6:42 PM
  20. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok cool so just got it back he did a full setup/added 2 more so 6 total washers on the rod. He said low tension light strings should help any future curve return (dident have any in shop). He put it in a jig to safely get it strait before adjusting. And did the neck tilt. Very playable. Not low action but just where i like it! Worth $40 and the cost of the bass

DavidEdenAria and Cliff Colton like this.