1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD! Peavey T-20

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shmandy, Jan 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Shmandy

Shmandy

Jul 7, 2011
    Texas
    Just snagged this guy off Craigslist and spent a couple hours playing it. Holy crap, what a value for a American made bass! Based on the serial number, this looks to be a 1983 T-20, and it's got some great vintage mojo to prove it.

First off, I was worried about the weight due to this bass' infamously backbreaking big brother, the T-40. However, the body on this bass is actually quite comfortable. Don't have a bathroom scale, so I can't give any real figures, but it's no worse than my P bass. It actually has a tiny bit of neck dive due to the surprisingly light body. But I'll probably be able to solve the neck dive with a wider strap.

As to the pickup, it's the infamous Super Ferrite that Peavey also put in the Foundations of this era. It's got a great beefy P bass vibe with a meanness to it that reminds me of Gibson Grabbers and Rippers if you dig in. Wonderful slap tone, too.

The USA Peavey hype train is real, guys. Get on it. These things are incredible values.

And now, the obligatory pics:

IMG_1383.JPG IMG_1384.JPG IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1386.JPG IMG_1387.JPG IMG_1388.JPG

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That, sir, is one nice piece of ash! :thumbsup:

3. Thummel

Thummel Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    Nice score Shmandy! My very first bass in 82' (I think) was a brand new sunburst T-20 so I have a special place in my heart for them. I gigged mine for four or five years until I got my first Pbass. I had it professionally set up and it always played like a dream. I sure miss it.
    Very cool my friend!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Very nice!
    The only bass I regret not buying was a '78 T40 back in 1979.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    OP, congrats on the T-20. One bass I always regret not buying was a fretless T-20 that was maybe $110. I could certainly afford it, but I just decided to save my money. That bass played like a dream and had mwah for days.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  6. Thummel

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    I know this sounds crazy but when I bought mine brand new in 82' I think I paid around $325.00 (full retail I'm sure) plus I had to pay another $50 or $60 bucks for the plastic hard case. In today's dollars that would easily be over $750.00. At the time a new Fender Pbass was around double that. (I still don't feel old!) Ha!!!!!!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You know it was worth it!;)

8. Thummel

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    Indeed Doc, I was as proud as a peacock with the T-20!

9. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Congrats on the T-20. Like a lot of Peavey gear, overlooked gems for sure. I happen to love Peavey stuff. I haven't always, but several years ago I "saw the light." I have a blue T-20 and three T-40's. Did I say that I have an appreciation for those? LOL

Enjoy!

kodiakblair likes this.
  10. lewink

lewink

Jul 19, 2009
    Baldwinsville N.Y.
    As you can see, big fan, Has a great P thump yet great tone variety. Value is huge, better that most new basses for the price point. M

Love seeing one get a new home. Enjoy.

SirMjac28 and Shmandy like this.
  11. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    my second bass was a Peavey T-20 (it was the first bass I bought for myself on my own hard-earned ca$h)....... I loved to hate it and I hated that I loved it.

grats, OP.....If I ever found my old one again, Id buy her up in a sec

12. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Nice score!

I always dug the knobs, triangular string retainer and headstock shape in Peaveys from that era (like that one).

That one is cool because it has a thumb rest built near the pickup.

13. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Dec 27, 2010
    Western AR
    Had an identical fretless many years ago. Traded it in on an acoustic guitar, which I still have, but would much rather have the T-20 back.

14. Okstatefan

Okstatefan

Jul 26, 2015
    Double congrats on a great bass.

I say double, because I saw that on the Waco CL yesterday and almost went after it. The only things that kept me from it was a couple of Fender basses that I really wanted locally (DFW); and the drive, time, and need for a third bass in two days.

I'm glad it went to a fellow TBer and a good home.

Shmandy and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  15. Ixnay on the ecrestsay....

16. alltomorrowsparties

alltomorrowsparties

Oct 18, 2014
    This makes me regret selling my t 40

17. sirvill

sirvill

Jan 15, 2016
    New Zealand
    I love that body shape! There were some really cool body shapes for basses in the 80s

Ninevolt likes this.
  18. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Peavey made some outstanding gear back in the 1980's. Built to last, well made and made in the US. A lot of the bands during that time used Peavey. Everyone from Lynard Skynard to George Strait.

19. lukatch

lukatch

Feb 18, 2015
    Congrats!

Check the intonation... the bridge saddles position looks incorrect.

dfoehr, gfaulkner and Clutchcargo like this.
  20. Shmandy

Shmandy

Jul 7, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah, it's not perfect, but it's not far off. I plan to tweak the saddles a little bit soon, I think.