NBD. PEAVEY T40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mush, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0694.JPG IMG_0695.JPG IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0699.JPG I bought this a couple of weeks back(I had been wanting one for years).. 1982.. pretty clean.. a few scratches and some buckle rash.. all the electronics work and I'm really loving this thing... plays great even though I don't... and surprise surprise it's boat anchor heavy.. close to 13lbs:D:D.. I should have gotten one years ago!! Sorry bout the crappy pics

2. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Aaaagh........ T40 owners, keep it to your selves. Every time we get a T40 NBD the prices go up!:D:D:D

3. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I'm a maple fb guy typically, but the lesser made model with rw, burst, and black are my favorite of the t40 line. Great find! Play sitting down :)

jhb138, ajkula66 and The Mush like this.
  4. BassAuD

BassAuD

Oct 4, 2017
    Ohio
    a low B sound wave is 36.61 feet long.
    Nice find! My t40 was a Christmas present something like 20 years ago. The input jack and toggle switch were eventually replaced, but otherwise this workhorse hasn't needed anything done. I did put a hipshot detuner on a long time ago, but this thing is basically original and not slowing down.
    I hadn't realized what I had until fairly recently and I think I'm only scratching the surface of its potential. Many happy rumblings!

5. I bought one new in the early 80's and traded it for a dyna bass. I've been really wanting one again the last few years, but I really can't think of a good reason why. As soon as I can I'll get one. ;)

I remember it being a really solid sounding and playing bass. I just can't believe how much they have gone up in the last few years.

6. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    Very nice, love the sunburst ones!

7. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    "T" for Texan, Chip Todd
    chip todd1.jpg

8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Love the sunburst rosewood combo! The best looking T40 imho.

jhb138 likes this.
  9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I remember these so well back in the Day, I had Peavey Amps, so I always used to check them out. Extremely versatile electronics and tone monsters, but the weight put me off. A buddy had one in natural finish, and he used to rib me about how he could get a Ric tone out of his T-40 for half the price. Nice score, haven’t seen one in a store used for years.

10. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    It's the only known natural replacement for testosterone therapy.

JGbassman and mech like this.
  11. king_biscuit likes this.
  12. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    Congrats...that's a beautiful specimen!

13. BassAuD

BassAuD

Oct 4, 2017
    Ohio
    a low B sound wave is 36.61 feet long.
    This is gorgeous. I don't know why sunbursts don't do it for me (I think I just associate them with my cheap first guitar) but T-40s totally know how to pull it off. They always seem more elegant.

14. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    sweeet

15. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Very cool bass! I must have the only light one on the planet, because mine is right at 9 pounds! Btw, Chip Todd is a cool guy, I've had several conversations with him and he told me that they chose heavy ash on purpose because everyone thought it made basses sound better at that time (late 70s) -- more sustain. Well Chip didn't think that, but they (Peavey and specifically Hartley Peavey) thought bass players wanted heavy basses at that time.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021