1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Peavey TL-Five (cool history)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jjk2007, Aug 12, 2017.

1. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This will be TL-Five number 4 for me. I sold my first 2 to help fund a cross country move back in the day.....and like a fool sold my last one I had just a couple of years ago. Which has us rewind to this past Wednesday. I was looking up TL-Fives and came across one on Reverb. Price was a little high but it had a lot of good going on so I reached out to the seller. After reading his add I let him know about a couple of mistakes in the description and had a pleasant dialogue with him. I made an offer on the bass and since it was down in Galveston said I could pick it up to save on shipping. It was also a good opportunity to take the family on a beach trip before school began. So we hopped in the car on Friday and made the run. Met the seller who was great and did the deal.

Now for the "cool" part.

The bass was originally owned by Stu Cook of CCR, Southern Pacific, CC Revisted and other acts. Now, I'm not really into who owned what and all that, but it is pretty cool that this was one of Stu's personal basses back in the day. It came with documentation that it was one of two TL's given to him by Peavey when he was in Southern Pacific from 89-90. The bass is in good shape with a few dings here and there, but it sounds just like all the others I've had. I'll get it set up this next week and I'm thinking this one will stay for a while!

UxUxjZj.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Very nice Peavey!

3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    hypnotized-emoticon.
    Listen to me, jjk2007... DO NOT SELL THIS ONE....DO NOT SELL THIS ONE...YOU ARE GETTING DROWSY...DO NOT SELL THIS ONE....and make sure to NOT lose the documentation...make copies...you will only listen to me and wake up when I hit the octave on the A string....should you fail to obey you will be stricken with a month-long bout of diarrhea....yes, the Dreaded Drizzle.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Bill Whitehurst and jjk2007 like this.
  4. JJK, congrats on that axe, love the color and the story.

SINCE you've had 4 of these things, I must confess I always wanted one but . . . . . I had a DynaBass with those same electronics . . . . . and hated it. So, did any of your four have the later 'soapbar' pickups they used late in the product run, and what did it sound like vis-à-vis the Super Ferret, I mean Super Ferrite pickups like this example.

It is a crying shame the axes they built in Mississippi are but a memory now. I understand Peavey is a private company and he is more than entitled to do whatever the hell he wants, but I am dumbstruck how Hartley has virtually turned it to almost all offshore production. I'm trying to stay out of 'Get Off My Lawn' territory, but it's hard to imagine how much has gone away in Mississippi.

songwriter21 and Shawn Luckman like this.
  5. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hey @J Wilson. The first two I had were the different generations. I had a black gen I and the emerald green gen II. The gen I always was just better all the way around for me. Had a lot of life, tone and playability. The gen II just seemed kind of lifeless, hard to setup etc. I sold it first and kept the black one. When I made the cross country move I had a mid 90's MM Stingray 5 and the TL-Five. I ended up selling the TL but vowed to get another one someday. I finally bought another (black) about 5 years ago but ended up selling it a couple of years ago to fund my GAS! Should have kept it. This new one has all the stuff people like to find on them......a battery box cover that's not broken.....there's not a single ding or chip in the headstock. All the pickup height screws, control cavity screws all work, aren't stripped etc. It's got a couple of knocks (it was toured with for 2 years by Stu) but I'm good with it.

All that said I have no interest in buying a second gen TL-Five ever again. Just me though, YMMV.

Edit: And yes, I wish Peavey would bring back some of these great basses and get that Meridian facility pumping them out again.

6. I have recently bought a 92 Peavey Foundation with the SF pickups and loved the basses that Peavey, put out during the 80's with the arrow like headstock & pin-striping & the fact that they were American made & affordable. It is a shame that they are not American made anymore & bar for the Cirrus, the newer models don't have that wow factor that the Foundation,Dyna & others had :thumbsdown:.

jjk2007 likes this.
  7. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Nice bass!!

jjk2007 likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

That bass is in great shape being around twenty-seven years old! It was worth an extra amount of money if you had to pay it. TL-5s with Super Ferrite basses are a poor man's F Bass, IMO. It's a great Jazz Bass in a Non-Jazz package.

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  9. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hey Doc......I was able to get this for a great price....about what TL-Fives are selling for these days, even given its history. I've always been partial to ebony fb's and these basses just get a great tone. Can't wait to get it set up this week and out on the upcoming gigs.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Have a ball playing it!:bassist:

jjk2007 likes this.