1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD--Peavey TL-Five

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jjk2007, May 30, 2011.

1. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    So this little gem arrived on Friday, and I finally got a chance to give it a good cleaning and give her a partial setup today. I had to sell one just like this back in 98 help fund my move to the west coast and regretted it ever since. I vowed I would get one again, and here it is!! The TL is a killer bass and plays like butta. This particular one has a Bartonlini pre in it, which gives it a little more flexibility than the stock Peavey pre. The only other thing I've already considered doing is picking up a chrome bridge and tuning machines and ditching the gold. I haven't got her fully setup yet, but so far she's sounding great, and is a slap machine just like I remember. That's about all I've got for now, so here are the pics.

857d039d.

238bc996.

f6b07495.

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Suh-WEET!
    Those TL-5's are wonderful instruments.
    Enjoy!

3. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    Sweet bass!

4. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Congrats, what a great bass!

5. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Beautiful!

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've got to get one someday!:D

7. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You should Doc! I'll probably pull out the Cirrus tonight and do some head to head comparisons. I can always tell the differences in scale lengths right away and I know the TL has a "smoother" sound to it. We'll see what else comes up.

8. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    That is an early one. I had a later one, after they switched to vfl pickups and the 3band eq. I miss that bass! Glad you got a TL5 back. Play the snot out of her!

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I was stunned the first time I picked up a TL-5. The sound, playability, and most of all quality are amazing.

10. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    At one time I owned one of the "newer" versions, but it just didn't have the mojo like my 1st gen TL. And trust me, she's gonna get played!! :bassist:

11. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Congratulations on the new acquisition! :)

I've owned both "generations" of TL-Five. The playability and tone seem to be the same for both.

12. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    Grats!
    Yours looks great.

13. Drocdbase

Drocdbase Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Alabama
    Congrats on the TL-5, looks great. Which Bart Preamp was install in it? Enjoy!!

14. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I might have actually gotten a lemon on my 2nd gen TL. With the same strings and setup as my 1st gen it just didn't have it. When you played them acoustically, the 1st gen just rang out, while the 2nd was kind of weak and dead sounding. Also, IIRC the neck was kind of tweaked on my 2nd gen. Maybe that was part of the problem.

15. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Due to the low entry cost, quite a few of the U.S. Peaveys have been mistreated at some time in their past, being project guitars or learning instruments for budding "rock stars." This is less common with the high end TL-Five, but the concept still applies IMO. My experience was the opposite of yours--with my first generation TL-Five having issues. The tone and playability were GREAT, but it had electrical problems and the local shops (two of them) could not eliminate them, so it got traded.

16. chubrocker

chubrocker

May 6, 2006
    KCMO
    Welcome to the club! My 2nd Gen TL-5 is flawless! It rings loud and clear acoustically! I just put a balanced set of Circle K's on the (136s) and it is now an even bigger tone monster.

17. Heres another photo for ya. I took this one just before I shipped it to you. I got all artsy with it.

18. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    One of these is on my "Must get one some day" list because they are just so badass lookin' and spec'd just like I like.

Congrats!

19. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You know, I'm not sure! I know the upper front knob is volume for the neck p/u, the upper back knob is volume for the bridge p/u and is a push/pull active/passive. The bottom 3 are bass/mid/treble and the switch is a 3 way that changes the mid frequency.

20. Yo jjk2007, what a score! Absolutely gorgeous...tell me, how's the string spacing? Looks a little wider than that of the Dyna Bass and Foundation, might have to start looking for one of those myself!