NBD (prematurely) and two that got away

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Haans, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Screenshot_20210622-232113.png
    Snagged this odd bird today, a Musicvox Spaceranger, on its way in the mail. I was unfortunately too late to the show for an Ibanez TMB30 and a lovely black Ibanez Jet King, both very reasonably priced.

The Musicvox has been for sale on and off for years, but I suppose the strange looks put people off. Finally it was listed at a price I could live with. The original pickups are gone and replaced with active EMGs. A rather nice 3-point bridge has been retrofitted with string-through added, but personally I think it looks better than the original bridge. Can't wait to try this out with my surf-punk band.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    GregC, tblurker, Ed Byrnes and 13 others like this.
  2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I like it !!

Haans likes this.
  3. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    It's weird, but I do thoroughly appreciate the weirdness. The gold sparkle is the coolest of the finishes it came in, but it would have been even cooler if it was one of the later ones with matching headstock. Can't win 'em all.

EatS1stBassist and Mr Cheese like this.
  4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Groovy! :D

Haans likes this.
  5. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Bruh your bass is waving at me. *waves back* That upper fret access though. Whoo.

Thanks for sharing. I've never seen anything like that before in my life. Cool.

Haans likes this.
  6. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Love it!

I’ve always liked the look but never seen one anywhere.

As a Gibson owner, I’ve also never seen anyone upgrade (?) to a 3 point bridge.

Can’t wait to hear more! :hyper:

Haans likes this.
  7. Yowza. Kind of answers the "who's got the biggest 'boner bass'" question once and for all.
    Boner Bass Club

EatS1stBassist, Haans and Goatrope like this.
  8. Very famed in Belgium because they are used by Sylvain Aertbeliën & Clement Peerens.

1520258304361?e=1629936000&v=beta&t=AxyxekgUud5z06atOEZbd0nLufIWMqN2-bFJD1mz8No.jpg

9. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Incredibly cool! Congratulations!

Haans likes this.
  10. That’s actually a “pencil in its pocket”…

11. Wow. 2 boners.

12. Ed Byrnes

Ed Byrnes Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    You've got premature bass-elation!

Haans likes this.
  13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Pretty cool. You got the harder to find of the three so that's good.

EatS1stBassist and Haans like this.
  14. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    So, it arrived today. First impressions: nice, solid construction. The finish looks great. Plastic is still on the pickguard for some reason, but that will soon be remedied. The tuners are absolute crap, as expected. They rattle and are about as sturdy as a paper umbrella. The strings are too low on the nut, so a shim or a new nut is needed. The action is quite high, and the neck was too straight, so there was still buzz. I loosened the truss a bit, but a proper setup and possibly a fret job will have to be done. And the string-through conversion was lacking in precision. Only noticeable on the back where the holes don't line up properly. No biggie. I should probably put some ferrules in the holes on the top to prevent the finish from flaking, though. Neck looks good, so the buzz can most likely be remedied.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021