1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Project bass - Korean Squier II??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Justice, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    So, picked up another bass for the project pile. $50 off FB market place. I'm pretty sure it is (was) a Korean Squier II judging by the fact that it had a 4 hole bridge, there is no black insert in the truss access and I am pretty sure the body is ply/laminated. I think the pickups are original (pretty sure some of the Squier II basses had white pickups. Previous owners fully shielded the cavity, put a vintage 5 screw bridge with threaded saddles on, changed the neck plate out for a Fender one, and put a bad Fender waterslide decal on the head stock. There are no date stamps in the neck pocket, and the body and neck are in real good shape, but I think it is from the early 90s (if it is a Korean Squier II) But I could be wrong. It could also be an early Affinity bass. 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG

Reedt2000 likes this.
  2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    For $50 You can't go wrong. I'm pretty sure those Schaller licensed tuners are right for a Korean squier II. It would be a shame if it's a plywood body, you can sometimes tell in the belly cut cause the alternating grain directions in the ply makes ripples in the paint. Still should be a fun blank canvas.

3. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    It is difficult to tell on the body since the neck pocket is painted an the control cavity is shielded. But I have never seen a Korean Squier II that did not have a ply body.:ninja:

4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    You could be right. What are your plans for it? Route a white MM pickup between the bridge and pickguard and drop a preamp in it? :cool:

5. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I'm thinking bridge cover, new wire harness, new headstock decal and a little detail work.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Got some of my new parts in today. New bridge cover, new controls. new pickup screws (oh how exciting!) and new head stock decal. I already had the chrome dome knobs. Should have a nice vintage look when complete. 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG