1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD!!!! provided by Johnk_10!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trunkshope6, May 16, 2011.

1. So as some of u may know i was trying to find parts for my vintage 77 stingray and got everything i needed ,set her up and installed all the hardware myself but i needed help.....

So after i hit up master builder John K who does immaculate work setting up and restoring vintage fenders and talk about my woes, we agree to meet up and i eagerly tote my 68 jazz and 77 stingray to his place. After looking at what needs to be done to my ray ,he sees my jazz ,(which is think is already the best feeling bass in the world,) making a small adjustment to the neck it is now actually the best playing jazz, i didnt realize what low action was until i played his builds, i couldnt believe how ignorant i was with set ups!

So i leave his pad with high hopes for my ray, only to recieve an email a few hours later saying its done!!

Not only did he give the frets a nice crowning he also;
    Did an Amazing Set Up
    Polished up the fingerboard it looks like new
    Made shims for the pickup
    Replaced all my mismatched screws
    Fitted loosely installed bushing ,
    Cut and fill the old nut making it very useable again
    Screwed in all loos tuning machine screws
    Made a custom neck shim

Finally, the shop that wired the preamp in forgot to install a ground wire which he adressed

I went back the next day and we both agreed it was a new bass,it played and sounded a heck of a lot better thats for sure.

IMAG0093.

IMAG0094.

IMAG0096.

IMAG0097.

IMAG0098.

IMAG0081-1.

It was a pleasure meeting a fellow tber and made my first repair a job a pleasant experience. I would stronlgy reccomend Johnk_10 for working on your vintage pieces, talking to him shed light on how to set up a bass and what to expect from your instrument. Ive never heard or felt my stingray sound so good and it instantly became my main player.

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Congrats. Very nice job.
    Props as always to johnk

3. nagarjuna

nagarjuna

Dec 10, 2006
    The Gunks, NY
    Lucky you that you live so close to him. Nice work as always. Beautiful bass!! :bassist:

4. yeah if i lived in the u.s id ask him to make me a rickenbacker 330 bass

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    thanks! it was my pleasure setting it up and addressing all of its 'issues' for you.
    the pickup is now mounted properly with 4-40 machine screws and 4-40 threaded inserts, as opposed to the wood screws that were 'holding' it in place. ;)
    it photographs very well, and it's definitely one of the lighter weight rays at 9lbs 3 oz.

i really dug your '68 jazz too.

6. Basically got a restore job and got my bass as it should be playing thanks again bro

7. GhettoBrassGuy

GhettoBrassGuy Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Simi Valley, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull, Lakland, Aguilar, JH Audio
    I really need to take some of my stuff there again. It's great living so close to a master. I'll be calling you soon John!

8. EtoG

EtoG

Sep 7, 2010
    *Jaw Drop* I'm not exaggerating when I say that's one of the best looking Stingrays I've ever seen. I bet it looks even better in person!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    nice! john rocks!

10. very nice :bassist:

11. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    There's a gleam, men. There's a gleam. Great looking bass.

12. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Awesome! Everything I've seen from John looks downright amazing.

13. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Beautiful Stingray. I have no doubt that after John's attention it's an amazing bass. I have a quilt top Jazz that John put together for me that is the finest bass I own (11 basses last time I counted). I have only good things to say about his work, and in fact just sent him another project.

Hope he doesn't get too popular....

14. Nice - and that color . . . :bassist::bassist::bassist:

15. Very cool. Nice looking bass.