NBD - PRS SE KESTREL

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gustopher, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    Recently I've been looking for a "full time" bass and after much searching, youtube, reviews, etc... I decided to give the PRS SE KESTREL a try. I have a PJ, so my P bass needs are met, so I wanted to go with jazz pickups this time. I ordered from zZounds and received in about 2 days, had it sent to my office so I could inspect when I got it and all was well. Upon first inspection, fit and finish are top notch, absolutely beautiful to me. Setup was needed, action is just too high, but the neck didn't need adjustment. Pickup levels were a little off, but nothing major.
    Had a chance to play for a couple hours last night and I am very happy with the sound from the pickups. I could get a wide range of tones from blending pickups and adjusting the tone. Hardware is all Hipshot and is very nice. It balances very nice on the strap and has ZERO neck dive, it hangs perfectly on me and puts my hands in a great spot to play. I don't have to reach my fretting hand as far. Not sure of the weight, but it weighs less than my Harley Benton PJ deluxe. All in all, I am loving it... and to make it official here are some pics!
    4.jpg
    2.jpg
    Big hunk of bridge. String through body or through bridge, it came with the rounds strung through the body, when I change to flats I'll likely go through the bridge.
    1.jpg
    Birds.
    3.jpg
    Pointy headstock, tilted back, no need for string tree and nice Hipshot tuners.
    5.jpg
    I like the gig bag, it's well made and feels nice. I probably won't use it, as I use a hard shell, but it's nice nonetheless.
    6.jpg

2. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    Those are awesome, beautiful basses; hugely underrated and with a ridiculously good price. Enjoy :bassist:

Gustopher likes this.
  3. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I can never get enough of those PRS bird inlays. Absolutely beautiful.

dabbler and Gustopher like this.
  4. CletusMarley

CletusMarley Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2018
    That's awesome. I really want to check one out..

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021