1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Pulled the trigger on that Standard P-Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BruceNH, Dec 12, 2018.

1. BruceNH

BruceNH

Dec 9, 2018
    View attachment 3245997 First, new guy here. I assume NBD means New Bass Day.

Second, I picked up that P-Bass I mentioned in an earlier thread, the one I passed on at 90 bucks not knowing if the neck was dead or not. The seller took it to a shop and got the neck nice and straight (damn, shoulda done the $90).

Anyway, he was going to relist it at $150, but said he'd let me have it for $125. I was gonna cap out at $120, but to paraphrase Geddy, "Five bucks is five bucks, eh?".

Needs a few easy tweaks, but it sounds great. Maybe Santa will bring me a tort shell pickguard.

HD007, mikewalker, Fetzu and 7 others like this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Just my opinion, but I think it looks good, as is... I have a parchment pickguard on my Highway One Jazz, and it gives a nice, warm look to it, as it does in the one pictured...

Eon Sky likes this.
  3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Congrats! Now, go play the hell out of it. :thumbsup:

4. Nice score and welcome to TalkBass! You nailed it on NBD and on the bass itself. I'm going to second the look of the parchment pickguard. It adds a vintage vibe to the whole thing that I really dig. Go rock it!

5. BruceNH

BruceNH

Dec 9, 2018
    Yeah, I'm liking the parchment pickguard a lot, actually. Much better that plain white. My first bass was a MIJ Squier P-Bass back in the 80's, sunburst with white pickguard. Swapped it for tortoise and it looked killer.

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The stock aged white pickguard look good enough on your bass.

Brown tort just make it look dull and boring because the burst are pretty dark on this body.

My2cent and congrats NBD.

7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    If you seriously wanna change the pick guard, how about this. Cream Pearl .

Screenshot_2018-12-13-08-51-13-832_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.

BruceNH likes this.
  8. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    Tell Santa the aftermarket for Squier is a little thin right now, but if you really want a tort guard that might fit with minimal fuss, he can find a actual Squier tort guard right here for under $30. Main difference is that the Standards used a 14-hole guard, as where these are 13-hole guards from a Classic Vibe.

You could also try one of these at Guitar Fetish. I have an Affinity that I switch the guard for their pearloid version and all but one hole lined up, a pretty good feat for an inexpensive aftermarket guard for sure.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018