1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD! Random Friday Goodness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raw N Low, May 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Was browsing my local Craigslist this morning and found this gem in the Boulder, CO area. Ibanez RKB in jet-black and maple neck. Was listed for $250, a deal too good to pass up. Action is high and needs a setup and new strings. Electronics are dead quiet and sound good. I'm going to clean her up and string up some DR pure blues in BEAD. Happy camper.

Edit: I forgot to mention for those who aren't privy, that the RKB's are MIJ instruments and are considered part of the prestige line. These were only made for a year, so if you can get your hands on one, grab it! Great instruments. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Nice find! Congrats. Would be interested in knowing what sort of truss rod adjustment and/or nut reslotting is required for BEAD.

Raw N Low likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

wow, nice looking! congrats! :thumbsup:

Raw N Low likes this.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The nut will probably have to have the slots widened just slightly and the truss would probably need to be tighten just slightly. It really isn't that big of a transition.

That things look clean. Were these recently only made for a year or did you find a closet queen? This is the first I have heard of them, reminds me of a Talman.

Raw N Low likes this.
  5. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I believe these were made from 2003 - 2004. It was an attempt by Ibanez to capitalize on the American market of Fender and Gibson basses. In other words, bigger body and neck, pick guard, and Basslines pickups. They originally retailed north of $1000, but when they weren't selling, the retailers were letting them go for about $350 - $400. If they had released the Musician and Roadstar with modern updates they probably would have succeeded.

That's not to take anything away from the RKB's. They are great basses, just one of those unknown gems. This particular specimen has been taken care of and believe it or not the previous seller has been trying to get rid of it for quite some time. Most buyers think it's an SRX (I think some of them share the pick guard design) and skipped over it. Outside of needing a setup, she's in great condition. Very little fret wear, small swirls on pick guard, and a few scratches that can be over looked with the naked eye.

Being the Ibby fan I am, she is worth keeping and holding on to for a long time. The previous owner felt really guilty about it sitting around and wanted to make sure that I would play it.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  6. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Here is a picture of an SRX with a pick guard (easy to confuse the two)
    upload_2017-5-26_17-36-4.

Ibanez SRX are great basses too. They are often viewed as cheap and beginner. The soap bar pickups can be very aggressive and loud.

7. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Normally I don't like black basses but this one is beautiful--the maple really sets it off. Good catch!

Raw N Low likes this.
  8. Nice score, I'd have grabbed it at that price too.

Ibanez made some interesting basses around that time, like the RD900, DW3, and your RKB. Seems like most of the RKB's were Cherryburst, that's the first black one I've seen. Nice.

Raw N Low likes this.