1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Ray34-

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by progrmr, Apr 15, 2010.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    The search continues..I actually had an EBMM Sterling, but it was old stock and was heavy as a brick. So while I loved the tone, I couldn't stand to play the thing.

Kicked around about 4 basses in the last month - finally sold them off and bought a Ray34. Really didn't have myself pegged as a StingRay guy - thought the fretboard was a little to tall. But I have long skinny fingers so I figured I'd try it out again tonight. It actually fits my fretting hand just right.

Looks great, plays good, sounds good - a lot like the $1400+ true EBMM StingRay I played at GC tonight. The Ray34 was the only thing close to my price range that sounded good so I went for it. Have to say I'm pretty happy after playing for a few hours.

The additional height on the fretboard and string spacing compared to the Sterling (both the SB-14 and true Sterling, I have owned both) has me playing cleaner for some reason. I think it's because my fingers were too long for the smaller neck and tighter string spacing on the Sterlings.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic, but I know the rules - no pic, no bass :bassist:

[​IMG]

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Looks good to me... nice bass!

3. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    While I wish the burst came with a maple board, they do sound pretty damn good.

I heard a guy trying out a few basses the other night. MIM Fender P bass, sounded okay, but positively anemic next to the Ray.

4. Swampman Cory

Swampman Cory

Nov 9, 2009
    Los Angeles / ex-Michigan
    Endorsing Artist: Reunion Blues, 64 Audio, Mesa Engineering
    You're right, that is no big deal. :p

I kid, I kid. I love that burst color; it's beautiful. I'm glad you found a keeper! Congrats.

5. HMZ

HMZ

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Nice bass! Now clean up that mess....:D

6. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Then it wouldn't look like a bachelor pad! :)

7. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I love these basses (even though I'm in the process of selling mine, it's only because I need the money). Hopefully I'll pick up a Ray35 down the road unless I can swing for a SR5. These are so close though, and can be found for a song a lot of the time, it makes sense to just get the Ray35 instead.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

New tools are especially nice when they look so good!

Congrats...I want one too.