1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Redsub semihollow 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bebi, Dec 10, 2018.

1. bebi

bebi Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Fredrikstad, Norway
    So, I missed having a semi hollow around the house to noodle around on when I just can't bother to switch on everything, or just want to keep the "noise" down with the family around.
    A quick search on the web and I found this at Gear4music/uk:
    preview-1.
    Looked ok, and was very cheap, so I pulled out my card and ordered last Monday.
    Arrived on my door Friday, 4 days later (Impressed; UK - Norway, customs and all....)
    To my surprise the finish was really glossy, not at all matt as in the pictures.
    And there was some nice grain showing through too....
    Electronics where a bit noisy, pickups kind of dull, but ok.
    Truss rod needed some adjustment of course after the ride from the UK.

I stripped the electronics and hardware, gave the body a rubb down with some 240-400 grit and banged it up a bit with some chain to give it a slightly relic feel.
    Worked a little relic on the hardware too
    Rewired the electronics; went for a VOL + VOL + 3way PU selector.
    I also had a pair of MEC chrome covered single coils on the shelf.
    Stripped the neck and sanded down to a very smooth wood finish (I dont like that sticky feel of poly) and stripped the headstock as I didn't like glossy black finish on it.
    Finally restrung with an old set of Labella black tape wounds I had.
    Now everything is back together, quick setup; and it plays quite well, for the money I put in it, I am really happy. Christmas holidays will be nice now.:bassist:

IMG_20181210_140941. IMG_20181210_140951. IMG_20181210_141005.

Greginperth and G-Z like this.