1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Rejoining the EBMM Club with a Firemist Purple SR5!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Sep 20, 2018.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    This was long overdue. :thumbsup:

Back in ‘07, I acquired my first Ernie Ball Music Man bass: a black StingRay 4-string with an all-maple neck. From classic covers to to metal, that bass did it all for me. I enjoyed it so much, it became my main weapon for 8 years. Sometimes, it was the only bass in the arsenal. Eventually, I needed 5-string basses and other tonal options in my arsenal, and I was left with the difficult choice of selling it to fund other gear. I swore, however, that I would get another StingRay someday... but this time, it would be a 5-string, to provide the low B I needed and the tonal flexibility of the 3-way switch.

That day came yesterday, with the arrival of a gently pre-loved StingRay 5 in Firemist Purple. I didn’t get to snap any photos in decent light (I picked it up from FedEx in the evening), but I was too excited to resist sharing at least something:

14315985-AC19-4ABE-837C-D140E804AB67.jpeg
    58E1CDF9-7BB8-491F-8826-32A3CD7EFAC8.jpeg CE39BD45-B6BC-4CBD-84ED-DDC4F7D0A360.jpeg BFADC279-2A1A-4B8F-A1BC-12CC9E4BD552.jpeg 14AF2C6E-797C-4F94-9407-522E9AD60A5C.jpeg

Yes, it’s a lefty. All of my basses are. No mirror tricks here!

The Firemist Purple body finish is nothing short of amazing. Paired with black hardware, it caters to both my foundational goth sensibilities and love of funkier styles. I wish EBMM was still making left-handed basses, or else I would have custom-ordered one with a matching headstock!

Tonally, it delivers as expected. I’ve played SR5 basses before and absolutely love the aggressive punch of series mode. The snappy hi-fi antics of the classic parallel mode are no slouch either. I’m still toying with how to best use the middle position, but truth be told, there are no bad sounds to be had from this bass.

I can’t wait to gig with it!

HD007, Templar and lowdownthump like this.
  2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Had no idea they stopped making lefties. Beautiful bass. Enjoy !!

JanusZarate likes this.
  3. That's hawt....'grats.

JanusZarate likes this.
  4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yeah, apparently nothing in the USA-made 2018 lineup is available in lefty. Someone from the leftybass.com community inquired and confirmed it with EBMM. I’m not entirely surprised, but sorely disappointed. They’ve been phasing out lefty production for a while, and the HH and HS models were never available in lefty to begin with (except for Bongos).

I believe this bass is a 2017 make. End of an era...