1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Reverend Triad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Aug 1, 2020.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Sort of an accidental NBD. I was jonesing for a 2020 EBMM Sterling 4HH and decided not to buy it, so I bought a 2005 Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass on Tuesday and then this one arrived today:

headstock_reverse.jpg headstock.jpg
    body.jpg body_reverse.jpg full_reverse.jpg full.jpg

A few things jump out at me as I put her through the paces:
    1. The appearance is just killer. I like the minimalist layout.
    2. The finish and binding are to die for;
    3. The caramel roasty neck is cool, too;
    4. Fingerboard radius seems quite flat;
    5. An interesting assortment of sounds. It sounds not like a StingRay, not like a Jazz Bass;
    6. It seems lightweight;
    7. We may have a winner-winner-chicken-dinner.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Someone stop this man before he buys all the bass!

(Nice score :bassist: I'd love to try a Rev DubKing on for size.)

3. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Ne-VAAAAAH! You will not defeat me. Mwwwwwwaaaahahahahahhaha!!!! :bassist:

gyppo, petch, John Stephen and 3 others like this.
  4. Bleecker

Bleecker Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Westport NY. USA
    Cool! Nice looking bass right there. Whats the control layout?

GAS!

5. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I think it's master volume, master tone, five-way switch. I will have to research what the five-way switch does but my guess is:
    • neck pickup solo;
    • neck and middle pickup on;
    • all three pickups on;
    • middle and bridge pickups on;
    • bridge pickup solo.
    I will see if I can find out.

nixdad and djaxup like this.
  6. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    The Burnt Brick finish is so killer—kind of like Fiesta Red but just a hair darker.
    The neck is chunky without being unwieldy.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    SJan3 and djaxup like this.
  7. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    I believe I read that it's wired the same as the five-way switch on a Stratocaster, so you have it almost right, except the middle setting would be middle pickup solo.

Dee-man and mb94952 like this.
  8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    That would mean there’s no all-three-on setting.

9. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    Right, like a Stratocaster. This review from Premier Guitar describes each setting.

Pushing the pickup selector completely forward, toward the neck, solos the neck pickup, and it gave me a tone rife with lows and midrange. To my ears, it could be described as a Gibson EB-esque sound with a piano-like clang. Dialing the tone knob down turned this setting into a dub machine.

Moving the selector one position to the right engages the neck and middle pickup, which produced a tighter tone with pronounced high mids. Players that lean towards P/J pickup configurations may find their sweet spot with the second setting.

The third (center) position solos the middle pickup, and I was treated to growls with gut-punching midrange. I also found this setting to be particularly receptive to the tone knob, which provided just the right amount of finger attack or wooly warmth when desired. “Entwistle mode” would be a fitting descriptor.

If you’re a G&L fan, the fourth position’s tone has qualities reminiscent of the company’s popular L-series basses. Pointed mids, tight lows, and a slight growl were prevalent with each pull of the strings. I preferred cutting the tone knob, which mellowed the edginess and added a slight low-mid bump—excellent for pumping, 16th-note lines. The closest the Triad came to a “J-style sound” was through the selector’s far-right position, which solos the bridge pickup and provides barks abundant enough to make Jaco disciples happy.

Ikkir and selowitch like this.
  10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    So how come there’s no all-pickups-activated setting?

11. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Unlucky You, but it seems You like it from A -Z. Success!!!

12. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Indeed. I love the look, total dynamite. The playability and comfort are excellent. The sound will take some getting used to, but that will be an enjoyable journey, I suspect.

Bleecker and nilorius like this.
  13. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    You'd have to ask Leo Fender. If you wanted that option, you could replace your volume or tone pot with a push/pull one that would activate the neck pickup when engaged. That's what I'd do if I were to get one of these.

14. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    What would he know about it? Other than his general expertise on guitar electronics, which is mind-blowing. Unfortunately, he’s dead.

15. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I imagine the folks at Reverend didn’t want to overwhelm players of the Triad with too many options, but if I were designing this I would go with something like this:
    • neck volume = pull for off, push for on
    • middle volume = pull for off, push for on
    • bridge volume = pull for off, push for on

H2okie and Admiral Akbar like this.
  16. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Selowitch — another combination you might want to investigate is taken from the Strat Ultra (1990’s era):

middle position on a ‘90’s Strat Ultra is neck and bridge pickup on... it gives the guitar a “telecaster-like” out of phase sound.

when I owned an Ultra, I LOVED that unique and very musical sound - and in a 3 pickup bass, you could achieve the same arrangement if you have it wired that way!

FRoss6788 and selowitch like this.
  17. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I wonder if the control plate is of the same dimensions as a Telecaster? That would make any electronic endeavors a bit easier.

Also, I’m pretty sure this bass is passive as there’s no battery box. That’s actually a good thing as far as I’m concerned as I have plenty of active basses.

I’ve been playing this thing for much of the afternoon and it sure is a pleasure to play. The tones are so thunderous and deep!!

18. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    20200801_190002.png

teh-slb likes this.
  19. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Skillet likes this.
  20. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Funny. Actually, I bought the Jazz Bass on Tuesday when I had ordered the Reverend on Sunday and the latter arrived today. But I got your joke. Very cute.

The official case for these basses is kind of expensive at $179. I may not need it.