1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Reverend Triad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Aug 1, 2020.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I agree. It has a really unique and powerful voice.

2. Fantastic!

I love my Purple Burst Triad. Amazing basses, as you found out. Mine is a 2019 also. Sunbeams FTW.

I will be adding another Reverend to my collection this year, most likely a Raymond (the people over here at The Reverend Club (part 8) tell me that the Raymond gets a little closer to the MM sound than a Mercalli.) I let an Alpine Green Mercalli slip away last year; still kind of bummed about that.
    20190604_135602.jpg

SteveBassJr, selowitch and teh-slb like this.
  3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    So much for your Holy Grail bass.
    3 pickups? Does it sound like a Strat? lol

selowitch likes this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

that's a great looking ax and it looks like you have plenty of sound/tone options! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

selowitch likes this.
  5. "all three PUs on" options are usually kinda thin sounding if they don't have a very clever wiring. That's why most bass and guitar builders omit it. Two pickups at the same time already sound thinner in the mids than one of the pu played solo. Dingwall D-Bird basses use a "all three on" mode with a specific wiring, and that one is overwhelmingly louder than the other options. I think it was two pickups in parallel with the third one in series with them.

The effect with the phase cancelling can be easily observed with the Fender Bass VI, there you can just on/off switch each of the three pickups. All three active has it's own kind of timbre, but it does sound quite thin in the mid register.

Almost forgot the most important bit: congrats on an awesome bass! Looks great and is surely a special beast.

Benko, Rabidhamster and selowitch like this.
  6. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Congrats on your new bass and detour from the holy grail. There was always the risk of never buying another bass when one achieves the grail so for those of us on the sideline thanks for sharing the new members of your family with us! Never played a Reverend and have heard many good things and from reading a pickup thread earlier in the week I really thought those were Lace Aluma pickups though apparently they are proprietary pups by Reverend. Whatever the switching, this has the appearances of a Jazz on steroids and though we don't expect you to measure the output of those pickups it would be interesting to hear what your take is on their sound. Enjoy in good health and this should help you stay safe by staying home:)

selowitch likes this.
  7. Shorelinegold

Shorelinegold Supporting Member

Nice score! I have a Reverend Mercalli 5 which is pretty awesome. I've been a bit of an evangelist for Reverend. Fantastic value, great looks, great build quality, innovative or at least evolutionary features. Tried to get a buddy to buy a Rev at the Philadelphia Guitar Show where I got to meet Ken Haas (sadly Joe Naylor wasn't there). In a world of clones of clones of clones it's nice that a company comes out with stuff that is fresh without being weird, gimmicky, or contrived.

selowitch and comatosedragon like this.
  8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Cool! If I wanted another four-string, I'd consider a purple one. (Well, along with the Thundergun and Sentinel and, you know, a few others....) I think it would make a cool five-string too.

As for wiring, G&L Strat-style guitars (including my Comanche) have a cool approach that could work here. In normal mode the five-way switch works just like a Strat: (1) bridge; (2) bridge+mid; (3) mid; (4) neck+mid; and (5) neck. With the flip of a toggle, the neck and bridge pickups are connected, so when either is on, so is the other. With this, in positions (2) and (4) all three pickups are on, and in positions (1) and (5), you get neck and bridge on together, for a faux-Telecaster sound.

Mix that with a switch allowing either parallel or series wiring between pickups, and you'd have an even more enormous array of tones.

9. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I’ve got a metallic alpine triad and currently I’m getting it updated with a push pull pot to ass the neck pickup to any configuration. That way you can get neck and bridge or all 3 on. Who knows if it will sound good but it’s technically possible so I need to try it out.

comatosedragon likes this.
  10. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    great lookin basses, i'd like the "raymond" in black or triad in purple.....tho i'd love to try all the pickup configurations too

11. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    REVEREND THUNDERGUN.jpg Very Nice!! I'm sure you will love it. I got a Thunder Gun about a year ago. It's not my number 1 but I do love to play it. It's very lite. And has it's own sound.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Shorelinegold likes this.
  12. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Va-VOOM!!!

Is it just me or is it more appropriate to say that the Triad looks "killler"? (couldn't resist :cool:)

Might pull a buy-it-to-try-it with a Reverend in the not so distant future. The Triad tops my list, but I could also easily seen myself jumping on a Mercalli or Dub King.

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    And... it's in the Classifieds.

comatosedragon likes this.
  14. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Yes.