1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD/Review: Supro Huntington I Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MIMJAZZ, Nov 9, 2018.

1. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

Dec 13, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I finally picked one up!

Initially when these came out, I was disappointed that it wasn't a 34" scale bass. I'm pretty tall and usually short scale basses look a little silly on me, but I threw my vanity out the window after I saw pictures of Tim Lefebvre using one. If he can do it, so can I! After a decent few hours of practice, a gig, and 12 private students using this bass, it's very different from what I'm use to, but I'm acclimating to it.

Just to get it out of the way... The Specs:
    -Made In Indonesia
    -30" Scale
    -1 Singlecoil Gold Foil Pickup
    -Alder Body (for the black finish. changes with model)
    -Rosewood fingerboard
    -Set Neck
    -20 Frets
    -Matte Finish Neck
    -Supro High Mass Bridge
    -1.7" Nut Width
    -19mm spacing

Setting up the bass wasn't too difficult. It was set up pretty well when I got it, but I like low action (1.5mm on the G to 2mm on the E). The neck was perfectly straight and the saddles were easily adjusted. No high frets, no buzzing, and it plays very comfortably now. Intonation didn't need much, but it sounds in tune up and down the neck now. A nice surprise coming from a new name overseas built bass.

I've been playing it through an Aguilar TH500 and a Chillbass Neo 1x12 cab. I'd put the tone of this bass in the P bass family. Sure, because it has one pickup, but it's smoother in the lows and highs and not as aggressive in the mids. Very full range, not honky, not burpy, not wooly like other short scale basses. Funny enough, I love that it doesn't sound like a short scale bass. It sat extremely well in the mix of the classic rock gig I played. I would feel comfortable bringing it onto a jobbing gig, blues gig, in the studio for sure, or any situation other than a metal gig maybe. The pickup is versatile and quiet for being a single coil. I got multiple compliments on the clarity of tone that was coming out of my amp.

Standing with it is great. The bass tends to hang with the neck to be parallel to the floor, which is how I like it, but make sure you check one out standing if you're thinking about buying one. The shape of the neck isn't wimpy and the matte finish feels great. No fret ends sticking out (and hopefully it'll stay like that considering it's only November). It's around 7 lbs and I'm using my 4" strap with it, so it feels like nothing on my shoulder.

Wouldn't be a good review unless there were a few problems with it. The problems I have with it feel nit-picky, because it's a good bass, but here we go:

- The tuners hold tune ok, but the ratio is low so it take a sec to really get in tune.
    - There is quite a volume drop when you get under 90% on the volume. Nothing a linear volume pot wouldn't fix.
    - I'll play with a pick occasionally and the volume knob is right under the pickup. I’ll touch it sometimes, but it’s no big deal.

Try one out if you have one at your local guitar shop. It's a cool little bass and I would recommend it to a student or professional alike. Let me know if you have any questions and YES I"LL POST MORE PICS.

45706017_253652828664411_4051899879650230272_n.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  2. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

Dec 13, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Did some mods cause I can’t help myself. Threw some Jazz Bass knobs on there, black dunlock straplocks, vinyl block stickers, and these really cool hipshot ultralites that have chrome gears and black keys! Looks great and is even more killin CCD59476-5978-4254-9D8E-9703766880DE. E4AE7EDF-18C5-4D0D-A13C-C3ED70691F6C.

Skillet likes this.