NBD....ribbit! Maruszczyk Frog!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IronLung1986, Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Actually NBD was about a week ago. But here is my new Maruszczyk Frog Omega 5a Custom!

It's a fully custom build exactly how I wanted it. And boy do I mean exactly.

Specs:

Alder body with flame maple top
    Trans Blue color
    3 piece set-in maple neck
    Ebony fretboard
    Delano SBC humbuckers, switchable to series, single coil, and parallel
    Delano Sonar 3 preamp, switchable to passive mode with passive tone control
    Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    Monorail bridge

This bass took about 10 weeks from order to delivery. Adrian was helpful and very prompt in his communication throughout the process.

I want to start by saying that I have never been more pleased with a bass bought sight-unseen. In fact, it's possible I've never been more pleased with a bass, period. This might seem hyperbolic, and granted this is still the honeymoon, but it's also not my first rodeo and I have a very good feeling about this bass. I wanted to do kind of an extended write-up on it because although Maruszczyk is getting a fair amount of chatter on Talkbass, it's mostly related to their Fender-type models. The Frogs are still pretty rare here in the US.

It took 7 days to get to me from Germany, and it arrived in tune. Now, I have basses that sit in my room that need to be tuned after 7 days. As soon as I held and played it for the first time it was like a lightbulb moment. It was designed by a bass player, and you sure can tell. It's so ergonomically perfect it feels like they took measurements of my body. Held with a strap, the neck is positioned so that every fret is effortlessly accessible. Often times you get stuck with the compromise where easy high fret access means having to stretch way out for the low notes. Or it'll be easy to play the low frets but you have to kind of reposition the bass in order to get the high notes. With the Frog there's none of that. You think about playing a note and your hand is there. The neck itself is thin and nicely shaped. I'm not real picky about neck profiles and thickness, but it's very comfortable and never gets in the way.

The super long upper horn appears to promise perfect balance, and it delivers. It feels like a small child could hang on the neck and it still wouldn't go down. When it weighed in at 8.8 pounds I actually kissed it.

The entire playing experience with this bass is just wonderful. The fretwork is perfect, the neck edges are nice and rolled, the action is low without flubbing out, the pickups are right where your right hand wants them to be.

The sound is great. Strong, clear notes all the way up the neck. No weak notes or dead spots really. It's got a lot of tones because of all its switching capability. Tough to describe tone, but I will say it has a lot of practical, usable sounds. Importantly for me, it was easy to find a sort of set-it-and-forget-it setting. Using nothing more than a few different right hand techniques, it can be polite and musical, articulate and burpy, or downright raunchy. The pickups are well-placed. It does a surprisingly convincing P bass imitation, and the bridge pickup is in a nice spot where it sounds and feels good to play right over it. It also sounds good with a pick, which I find not all active basses do.

One other thing that I love is that the bass doesn't really change position from sitting to standing. So if you practice sitting down it doesn't suddenly feel different when you stand up. Everything about this bass is thoughtfully designed like that. The volume knob is quick and easy to turn, there's a little more resistance on the pickup pan, and a little more than that on the EQ knobs - corresponding to how frequently you'll need to mess with each of them. Even the little pickup switches are rotated a bit so that you can flip them up or down more easily.

As for the hardware - you forget the bridge is there, which is the highest compliment a bridge can get. Also the Hipshot machines are really cool. There's no washer in the turning bit, which looks better and seems less likely to fail. The overall build quality is very good.

So here are the pics. I got to pick the piece of wood used for the top, which I think looks absolutely great. The photos don't really capture the color very well. My lamp makes it look a little greenish, but in person it's very blue.

MWqPHyz.jpg
    0G7ArFH.jpg
    thLm3Zc.jpg
    mgvOVUX.jpg
    hQGJlh3.jpg
    P1RXA4z.jpg
    n5ax0fd.jpg
    hkgZ5Lc.jpg

2. Nomogram

Nomogram

Sep 30, 2015
    Central Illinois
    That bass is beautiful! I love the trans blue. I like the curve of the body, how the upper horn and lower horn form one sweeping curve. Wow, very nice!

3. Thank you!

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    You've confirmed my serious GAS for one of these. Or maybe two, can't decide between fretted and fretless. I think I like the headless version better though. Gorgeous design.

DavetheDude and IronLung1986 like this.
  5. SamOfzo

SamOfzo

Jan 7, 2017
    Enjoy your new Frog.

The flamed maple blue is giving me serious GAS for a 3rd Frog...

IronLung1986 likes this.
  6. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Beautiful! Enjoy!

How do the pickups sound together in the different modes?

IronLung1986 likes this.
  7. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I've said it before and I'll say it again....

That is one beautiful instrument.......:hyper::thumbsup:

I hope it gives you many years of pleasure.....:D

IronLung1986 likes this.
  8. They sound great! I've mostly been favoring the bridge pickup a bit, with the neck switch in the down position and the bridge either down or in the middle (single coil). I can't remember if down is series or parallel. But with these pickups you can turn the treble down a bit and still get an articulate sound which is nice. They also sound good by themselves - the bridge pickup is just far enough from the bridge to be viable on its own, and the neck is right near the P position so it holds up by itself too.

BassmanM likes this.
  9. Thanks FF! Yea I'm really pumped about it. Been working on a couple of Adrian's tunes, and it's amazing how much easier they are to play on the Frog. Makes perfect sense I guess!

Fat Freddy and BassmanM like this.
  10. Awesome, I love my Maruszczyk!!

Attached Files:

11. Ming_H_T

Ming_H_T

Aug 17, 2017
    Really really beautiful. May I ask how much you paid for it?

Fat Freddy likes this.
  12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That's very nearly the one (or two) I'd like to order - make mine fretless, headless, quilted, Delano oval quad Xtenders. And if I win the lottery, its fretted twin! :)

Fat Freddy likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021