1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD Ric 325 style bass FireGlo Bassenfaker.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kohanmike, Mar 14, 2017.

1. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I received this a couple of weeks ago but the strings were so bad I decided to buy a set of the new La Bella Deep Talkin' 760FM special extra short scale flatwound made for the Gold Tone MicroBass. Now it sounds much much better. It's custom made in China, 24" scale Ric 325 style FireGlo bass that only cost $298 including shipping to Los Angeles.

The body is a little bit bigger than I wanted, so I may take it over to Eric's Guitar and have him cut down the tail end and the lower bout, then have Pat Wilkins paint it, or maybe not. I added the decal Bassenfaker inspired by all the posts here on TB about the fake Rickenbackers out there.

Rick 325 Bassenfaker 800.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    GKon, ScottTunes and 1stnamebassist like this.
  2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Okay.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What he said

4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I will 3rd that.

5. It's unanimous.

6. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I smell cheese.o_O

byoung93888 likes this.
  7. You sure have a..........little.......thing.

8. Does anyone call you, Mini Mike?

9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I like it! Looks about like an Ibanez Micro in size? Looks like a lot of fun to play, and a worthy addition to the Ukenbacker collection. I think the body looks fine, don't cut it down, will look too small proportionally.

10. kohanmike

All my things are little.

Nope, but I would accept that.

It's even shorter than the Ibanez Mikro. When I tried one at Guitar Center I found even it was too long for me.

11. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    @kohanmike I don't know how I missed this but that's awesome! How does it sound? Looks a little crazy with the three pickups but if it sounds good who cares? It looks like a cool instrument though. I just came across your little SG bass too, very cool.

I built a 25" scale bass from strat parts today and used it on my gig, it felt huge compared to my marleaux but I'm loving the sound. 23-25" scale works out just fine for bass I think. Since my hands can't play a bigger bass anymore I'm in this club for the long haul!

12. kohanmike

Thanks m. It's actually bigger and heavier than any of my others, wide body. The original 325 had three pickups. I've actually had second thoughts on this custom, it's not proportioned quite right for 24" scale, i thought if I ordered a 325 knockoff guitar and converted it to a bass, that might have worked better, but since I already have this, I'll stick. I replaced the strings with the extra short LaBella flatwounds made for Gold Tone, I think it sounds very good. The SG came with a bad pickup, which I'm about to get replaced, also will have the LaBella flatwounds. As you know, only sub-short scale for me.

13. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    The pickups appear to be off-center or different sizes. Is this an issue, tonally? Do you have more photos?

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah the pickups had zigged while the neck had zagged.

But other than that is seems like a pretty cool little bass.

Axstar likes this.
  15. kohanmike

They tilt slightly from one to the other, but it sounds fine to me. The flatwound strings are really good.