NBD - Rick fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ficelles, Oct 12, 2021 at 3:09 PM.

1. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Finally I did it... sacrificed TWO basses to get this one but it had to be done, so now I have an '07 Rick 4003 fretless. This may well be the slinkiest most playable fretless neck I have ever laid hands on, very nice indeed. That slightly-shorter scale is great. I may even forgive Rickenbacker for the wrongly-placed fingerboard dots but at least the side dots are correct. And it looks as cool as anything. I actually haven't even plugged it in yet, just been playing it acoustically while I prepare my 2-rig setup to give it the full stereo workout :) Can anyone identify those black tapes with the purple silk?

3395059E-1B54-47DE-A056-CEFB2415D0F6.jpeg 10365A4D-9ACD-4BDC-83EC-7323D619D7AD.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 3:32 PM
  2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    LaBella

3. Sweet bass. I'm jealous! :drool: And yeah, those tapes are La Bella. If they look similar in size to 45-105 strings then they are the light 750N set (50-105 gauges). If they're bigger, more like Rotosound tapes, then it's the 760N medium set (60-115).

4. basmansam

basmansam Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Vermont
    Congrats, I love mine.

IngloriousOz, bobyoung53 and ficelles like this.
  5. Vodyanoi

Vodyanoi

Mar 24, 2020
    Fabulous! :thumbsup: That burst is sweet!

JettBlaq and ficelles like this.
  6. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Thanks for the ID on the tapes but they didn't stay on long as they felt a little weedy... luckily I had a set of DTFs handy. Wasn't sure if they'd fit as they are an XL set but interestingly the silks are like this on the Rick:

32D1C03D-9DFF-4196-A5BF-9B94C405A7A0.jpeg

7. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    This is a great combination.

5CCAC349-0136-469F-AD76-72244FA6FA2E.jpeg

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:woot: :drool: :bassist:

:laugh: too cool! that's a humdinger of a fretless you have there, @ficelles. there couldn't be a better ric, ever --- it's the bomb! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Congrats on your new Rick! :)Interesting, regarding the dots placement. On my old '04 4003FL the dots on both the fingerboard and the binding were in the "fretted bass" positions. Sadly, I never got used to it.

SirMjac28, ficelles, woodyng2 and 2 others like this.
  10. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

You probably remember this, I ordered a new Blue Boy fretless when they were offered and the side dots were in the wrong place on mine too, I finally sold it. I got this '85 though.
    I wish I had known they went back to normal side dots though when they were still making them.

IMG_20191005_212118_resized_20200524_041311376.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 9:48 PM
  11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Mine's got electrical tape spot "fixes" down the side of the neck, too disorienting otherwise.

JRA and bobyoung53 like this.
  12. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Nice score-Congrats!
    When I had my fretless Cii, i think i tried every kind of string type on it, but never could settle on one that i liked the sound of. (I think my problem is that I’m just not particularly comfortable with the fretless thing in general, as much as I’d like to be.)

MynameisMe and WillyW like this.
  13. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    Nice find!

I haven’t found an FL that I thought was remotely priced reasonably! Hope you got a good deal!

I like the Ernie ball extra slinky strings on my fretlesses, I did venture out and bought a set of SIT strings but I haven’t used them yet. I later looked and both are nickel.

woodyng2 likes this.
  14. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Fretless Ric, Rarey Mcrareson.

woodyng2 likes this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Wow, that’s fantastic. Enjoy!

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Was the $800.00 I paid for a new one that was a return at a shop a good deal?

Murch and gregouille23 like this.
  17. Lovely bass, what a catch!!! Out of curiosity, did you buy it from Bass Direct? I saw a fretless Rick a few days ago and man was I tempted :)

18. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    The obvious question is which two?

JRA and woodyng2 like this.
  19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Beautiful dark burst on that one, another rare bird ive never seen in person, but always coveted. Nice score!

JettBlaq and bobyoung53 like this.
  20. Yay!!! Be prepared for a whole different sound than what a Ric is known for.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021