1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: rick-style neck through arrived from Ali Baba

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basiroti, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    31300003_10100945334569243_1037751750406176768_n.jpg

not sure what to do with the hardware. Maybe chrome hardware, white pick guard? Unsure what to do for pickups.

My other bass is an Am Standard P loaded with Pure Vintage 63 pups. For this bass, I'm undecided if I want a classic Sting Ray sound or a Rick sound. I like to play punky, energetic rock with fingers, pick and slap. I know Delano has some good sets. The Delano PMVC4 FE/M2 supposedly sounds like a P meets Stingray, which is exactly my poopie - but I'm not sure I want to have 2 P Basses.

Maybe I should go straight rick? I heard modern rick pick ups have more bass response than the older ones, so that may do me good (since I love P Basses, and find J Basses kind of tinny).

Anyways, I'm at a loss of what I want pick up, pick guard, bridge, etc haha

Here's an album with more photos of the bass (and a comparison with a bonafide 70s lefty rick): new bass

Badwater, knumbskull, pudge and 5 others like this.
  2. sing-modulator

sing-modulator

Nov 23, 2014
    IL
    nice binding! whats a body like this go for?

3. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    About $270/sub$300. Had to wait for 3 months though

saabfender likes this.
  4. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    I'd be tempted to do something a bit different...

Go for 4004 styling (no scratchplate/pickguard, rear control cavity).
    Hipshot tuners & Xtender.
    2 piece bridge (like Warwick / Alembic).
    Pickups... ? Double P or double Nordenbockers?
    2x Stacked Vol/Tone controls & 3 way switch

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Had the Delano PMVC5 (5 string) on a Maruszczyk Jake 5a+, while also owning an having owned some Musicman basses, and all I can say about those Delano big pole pickups is that they sound SO DEAD in comparison (both thru' an active EQ or passive). Expect none of the signature Musicman "in-your-face-ness", or try another thing, the Delanos don't have it.

6. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    You sound like my kind of player. So I turned my PBass into my ideal PBass, and for this new bass, I kind of want a stingray type "In Your Face" sound. I know Peter Hook was playing a Hondo Rick lawsuit... I want a really growly California punk sound, that can also be used to do that post punky chorusy thing too.

I also want a rich enough fundamental tone that I can EQ to my liking. I'm not trying to go for quarter pounders, or anything that's too. specialized. I want a mature tone, but punky. Old and punky like me!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    andruca likes this.
  7. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    Thanks for this thoughtful comment! I listened to the Nordenbocker demos on youtube!! WOW. I really like them, and it's different enough from my other tool (PBass with Vintage 63 pups).

Can I ask about the other choices you've made here? Why 2 piece bridge? Why rear control cavity?

Your input is helping me out!

8. Milchlingr

Milchlingr

Nov 22, 2017
    Baltimore, MD
    How is the neck profile and fret work?

9. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    Both are really good. My luthier was impressed

saabfender likes this.
  10. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    A lot of the suggestions are using the Ric 4004 as inspiration. Keeping it "clean & simple", with a nod to traditional styling. Basically, it's my ideal Ric/Faker.

The rear control cavity gets rid of the scratchplate/pickguard.
    The 2 piece bridge/tail piece - the 4004 uses a Schaller rather than the "traditional" 4001/4003 style bridge. The 2 piece keeps the "classic" look/bridge footprint of the 4001/4003, but is "cleaner" and less prone to any issues. Basically, I think they'd look superb on a 4000 style bass.
    2x stacked volume/tone controls & 3 way switch - 4004 style control layout, but keeping Vol & Tone control over both pickups.
    The Nordenbocker is only available for the neck position, 2 together may not be a hum cancelling. Maybe look at a matched set of Nordstrand soapbars or something similar.

11. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Does it have a truss rod?

I see the cutout for it, but it’s not specified from what I can tell.

12. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I would do Hipshot hardware and EMG pickups (Triple Reverse-P should fit in there nicely...) :hyper:

Oh, and what's the scale length?

MattZilla likes this.
  13. otp57

otp57

Oct 10, 2016
    I seen some of the copies of the real stuff from way over the big water.
    Man you can get some good looking stuff and some of it is crap BUT A LOT OF THEM ARE VERY GOOD COPY OF THE REAL THING FOR VERY LOW PRICE.

14. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    What about some TV Jones pickups? I would leave off the pick guard and rear route the controls.

Pet Politics likes this.
  15. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Joe Barden Rick style. Rickenbarden or Bardenbacker.
    You can thank me later.

pudge likes this.
  16. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Hmmm. I can get behind paying $300 for a body and stuffing it with $400 of parts. I might end up with a Rickenbacher yet.

NOVAX and twinjet like this.
  17. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I've been imagining myself getting one of these and putting a Neal Moser P+P setup on it, in the spirit of 70s BC Rich.

Only instead of DiMarzios I would use an EMG Geezer and a Lace Manowar.

Aka the best bass for metal

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    comatosedragon likes this.
  18. Whew! I thought you were going to say the bass was supposed to be complete!!!
    Now, for a body and neck that is fully functioning that you do with as you please for components they might be an interesting project.

But I'm afraid I'm still going to boycott them because of all their counterfeit products. That just my personal thing, I try to vote with my dollars.

Wademeister63, rickdog and MattZilla like this.
  19. I had to look up the Lace Man o war pickups -- and watch a youtube video -- Holy Crap!!!! Why are these pickups not more popular??!! I am definitely putting a set of these in my warmoth build ..... wow!!!!!!!

DistortedBass likes this.