1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Rickenbacker 4003 JG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billoetjen, Oct 7, 2010.

1. I'll post just one pic.

Because, really, anyone can find out what these things look like. The pic I'll post is special though, because it's what my eyes beheld the moment I opened the brand new case containing the brand new Rickenbacker 4003. (Nice case, by the way. The latches and aluminum valance, comfortable handle, very nicely padded and lined.)
    I really only wanted a FireGlo originally because it's soooo R&R. But, the JetGlo looks as sharp as a custom-cut Tux. It'll sit in as nicely in a jazz trio as with electric Blues. Steve Priest didn't seem embarrassed by his, and he was doing Glam!

True to my word, I swapped the stock roundwound strings for Labella DTB 760FL and the stock philips head intonation screws for Allen/hex head ones. All this before playing a single note!
    It's an incredible instrument. No bass has ever felt as comfortable, as "right" in my hands as this one. The neck is exactly the right width from the nut to the body, the scale is just right, the contour and balance are perfect for me. The tone is indescribably killer. I would hate this with rounds! But with flats, especially when they mellow out is without comparison. I brought it to rehearsal, and my front man (with 50 years experience) said it's the punchiest bass he's ever heard. One thing I really appreciate is how the tone stays balanced from E string to G. It's the same tone throughout, just the pitch changes, as it should be.

I have one major, serious complaint, but I'll save that for another post. I think I have a solution for it.
    Just get the Ric!

Attached Files:

2. Congrats! Looks just like mine!

I've got rounds on it however ..... :D

Got mine for my 40th birthday and played it at my party ...

n1387635551_251309_102.gif

3. Congrats from another Ric JG player. I had a FG but that was when it had the reddish hue not the cool brown tones now. But, I like by JG and still with stock strings. Enjoy.

4. Congrats, sounds like you're not going to be in the "rics ain't for me" camp any time soon. So, does it make the cut for duty in China?

5. Well, kinda. They're both JG, and have four strings. Maybe I'm biased, but mine is way nicer looking, sorry!

:bag:

6. I wish I were you right now.

7. Thanks.
    Yeah, today it's my turn to bask in the (jet)glo.

One thing I can say: if you want an axe that doesn't sound generic, and doesn't look like anything else, get a Ric.

I keep hearing these stories about quality control, etc. No evidence of that in serial #1026430.

8. She's going to China, baby!

Now all I need is a good gig bag and SKB bass safe....

and this strap:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/1800/PW25LDRG-xlarge.jpg

9. Congrats my Friend!
    This really is a small state! I'm planning on getting another Rick at X-Mas. Can I ask what size hex screws you used and are they a standard fit or did you have to modify the holes on the bridge?
    Have fun!
    Brent

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Very cool! Congrats!

That's my fave color combo too (besides Burgundy or Autumn-glo which seem pretty hard to find these days)

I hope to get a real Ricky one day. For now, my 73 Ibby will have to do...at least it has the looks, not quite that signature Rick sound though. Snagged it for real cheap from a guy locally and it will have to hold me over for the time being.

ricksmall.jpg

11. The Master Does Not Reveal His Secrets.

Okay, I'll tell.
    The screws were sent to me by a fellow TB'er who figured out a simple way to vastly improve life with his Ric. They are exact replacements for the stock screws, right down to the flat heads. I don't know the exact dimensions. He sent me two sets so I can take one to the hardware store and find that out and get back to you. No mods necessary at all.
    The 4003 is an awesome bass.

12. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    YES!!!! Another convert to the Ric side!!!!! Well done and good choice...I am awaiting Ric #98 to get here....

13. How's it sound with the flats? Clips would be greatly appreciated! :D I think I'm warming up to the Ric look..

14. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    you didn't see my FS thread with the Burg Ric???

15. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    congrats! I'm jealous.

16. spiritbass

spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Congratulations! I'm still honeymooning with my Mapleglo 4003. I was also very impressed with the quality of my instrument. The only modification needed so far for me has been to remove the bridge pickup cover and replace it with a bezel from Tubeampology. Intonation was a bit tedious, but it won't need adjustment again until I decide to change guages or try some flatwounds. The strings that came on it are still sounding pretty nice to my ears...:bassist:

17. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Changing the strings over to flats before even playing a note. Wow. A true flatwound zealot.

:)

18. That just tells you how much I HATE rounds.

The way they feel, the way they sound; I even hate the packaging that they come in.

Hell, I hate the air in between the windings...

19. LOL! That's just cause your pic doesn't have the funny looking dude pawing it! :D

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I did...but probably couldn't afford that right now anways :bag: