1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RandomBox, Oct 26, 2013.

1. And you can't see from the photos, but it does have a slight amount of the infamous tailpiece lift.

2. jbd5015

jbd5015

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    NICE SCORE!!!

what year is it? looks to be brand spankin' new! thats a nice lookin fireglo. youll be happy you bought that sucker. ever since i got mine i havent looked at the other basses for live shows. its the most versatile bass i have played!!

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    where did you put it on layaway? you are lucky congrats.

4. Believe it or not, It's a 2011. Those photos are from September, though. Need to take some new ones.

It has basically been sitting in the guitar shop for two years. The guy said nobody checks them out anymore, so they don't keep them on the display racks.

5. Small (but really proffessional) shop in the next town over from mine called Willcut guitars. It also came with a free setup/restringing at their repair shop across the street.

6. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player Supporting Member

Great color. Congratulations. I just got a Jetglo last month and can't stop playing it. I played it at band practice today for 4 hours straight and was loving it. It takes a while to find the tone but when you do it's sweet. Today was the first time in live practice with the Genz Benz Streamliner 900. Wow. The pickup cover had to go, though, it was causing me problems.

7. The tone IS kinda weird, I agree. I have TI jazz flats, and the bottom two strings are nice and smooth sounding, but the lower pitched strings are a bit twangy and rough sounding. Otherwise its great. I'm playing it through an Ampeg BA-108 (its what I've had with my Fender since I started playing again, and I plan to upgrade to a Peavey Tour TnT 100)

Was your pickup cover slightly crooked by any chance? Mine was (you can see it in one of the photos)

8. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player Supporting Member

No, my cover was fine, but I have some mild crap going on in my wrist and the cover was irritating it and giving me pains. Now without it and with the replacement bezel I learned about here on TB, all is well. I still have the stock strings on and actually like them.

The low E is not as defined as the the others. The sweet spot seems to be the middle two strings, that is where I am finding the best tone with that nice twangy Ric sound. I have been playing through a Markbass LM III and two MB cabs as well as an Ampeg B100R. The tone is improved markedly with both rigs since a friend gave me a Behringer BDI 21 to fool around with. I tried the SVT emulation setting and it is GREAT.

Today I played with band without the DI, just using the MB cabs and the Streamliner 900 and it sounded fantastic. I think tube power is the way to go with this bass, tube stuff is completely new to me, a whole universe to explore now. Just what I needed....

9. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    The pickup cover raises and lowers with the pickup. So it looks like your pu is just lower on the treble side. That could also be the reason for the tone difference between strings. Put a straight edge next to the tailpiece usually the body contours down and it makes it appear to have lift.

10. I've closely inspected it, it does have tail lift. Its not much, but its there. (The photo is at a weird angle)