NBD - Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThingsAbove, May 23, 2021.

1. I've considered a Rickenbacker bass to be a bucket list item... cross one bucket item off the list.

I purchased from Brian at Wildwood Guitars and it was a great experience. It came setup beautifully and was even in tune (albeit a step down for shipping).

I debated between a couple of natural finish 4003s and a Fireglo they had in stock but ultimately decided I've missed having a unpainted, natural wood bass. Plus this one had a more figured fretboard which I'm enjoying.

PXL_20210523_234444271.jpg

I had only played a Ric in a Mars Music Store many years before and it was not a positive experience because the neck felt like the fat end of a Louisville Slugger. Many years later, I've migrated to beefier necks to the point where now the "deep" neck on the 4003 feels just about perfect to me. I also recently purchased a Yamaha BB435 and while I think it is a great instrument (gigged it this weekend) the shallow neck profile isn't as natural for me. I feel like I'm playing a classical guitar and keep my thumb behind the neck "just so". When I use a big'ole fat neck like the 4003 I seem to naturally grab it rather than finesse it and it just works.

PXL_20210523_234456656~2.jpg

I've never played a Ric one outside a store. My musical references for the Ric are 70's prog rockers that had the more trebly tone of the 4001, so my expectations for using it in the type of music I normally play were rather low. I could not have been more wrong. I am blown away by it's sound. To me it is certainly NOT a one trick pony. I'm still exploring all the combinations I can get out of those two pickups but this bass is not staying at the house.

PXL_20210523_234541400~2.jpg

Nice wood grain on the headstock and a nice cut on the back of the neck...

PXL_20210523_234600994~2.jpg

I will need to adjust how I hold my right arm due to the binding.

In short. I'm pleasantly surprised; maybe because my expectations were more to own an icon rather high expectations for its actual usefulness to my style of music. Admittedly not a great reason to buy an instrument, but expectations and reality are frequently vastly different.

2. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    I’d love to have a Ric, even if it were just to hang on the wall. Glad you are enjoying yours as more than just an artwork! Beautiful bass!

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    ThingsAbove and bobyoung53 like this.

3. I don't even notice the binding, maybe it's the way I play it? I do know when I bought my first one after having played Fenders for 7 years they took some adjusting for me but they feel very natural to me now and have for years. I have a jetglo 4003S waiting for me back in the U.S.

Jeff Scott and ThingsAbove like this.
  4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Congrats on a sweet Maple-Glow. I just got one almost identical to yours.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Beautiful looking bass. Congrats.

6. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Very nice.
    Looks like my 2009.
    Just remember it’ll sound just like a 4001 if you want it to by pulling on one of the pots.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    ThingsAbove likes this.
  7. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    I will require a demo! Nice NBD

8. Craig T Vector

Craig T Vector Gold Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Liberty Hill, TX
    Nice Mapleglo!

Now, remove that sticker! :D

9. Already done... thankfully it peeled right off with no fuss

Drifter_Bass likes this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    The walnut wings are particularly nice on your new bass!

As with Bob, I have no issues with the binding, very likely due to my playing acoustic guitar for just about as long as playing bass (50 years, now).

monsterthompson and bobyoung53 like this.
  11. ric4682

ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Nice bass! I bought a 2007 Jetglow brand new and it’s been my main bass (usually my ONLY bass) through jazz bands, metal bands, jam bands, wedding bands, and more. They really are special instruments if you take the time to get to know them.

ThingsAbove likes this.
  12. PaulS

PaulS

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    Congrats! To me the natural finish is the Ric look. Love it.

ThingsAbove likes this.
  13. From the limited playing time with this bass I'm not finding any problem when I'm standing. Based on where I wear the bass my arm crossing the binding without any issue.
    When sitting, the bass balances better than any others I own on my right leg but due to the body being significantly higher, my arm is crossing the binding at an angle.

I've joked that I might use my leather arm guard that I use when shooting my recurve bow. Binding could have a knife edge and I wouldn't feel it.

upload_2021-5-24_11-7-16.png

14. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Sweet bass, hope you enjoy!

15. Kevorargh

Kevorargh Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2013
    West Bethel, Maine
    I love my 2003 - I use it to pay all sorts of rock and roll from blues to Americana to '80's rock. I can get plenty go great tones!

16. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I've been playing your bass's twin brother for over 40 years (see my icon). It still looks and sounds great and it is NEVER going anywhere as long as I'm alive.

Enjoy it!

17. Congrats! I have two myself and I rarely play them but damn, they are well made and look beautiful! Bravo!:hyper:

ThingsAbove likes this.
  18. Drifter_Bass

Drifter_Bass

Apr 5, 2017
    MPLS, MN
    Welcome to the Rick family! These things are capable of a boatload of tones, so enjoy the ride and keep experimenting with different knob settings and string choices.

19. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Woody!:woot:

20. I've joined the Rickresource - Rickenbacker Forum, Guitar and Bass Register forum, but which thread in TB is the best place to post questions like... how do I get the tailpiece off to even up the pressure on the mute?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021