1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Rickenbacker Club- I have finally arrived.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ironbar, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar

Aug 24, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    ...and I am so GAS'ed! I've wanted a Rickenbacker 4003 since before I could play bass! With my company making record gross profit last fiscal year, we all got nice fat bonus checks last month. So I finally decided to pull the trigger and fulfill my desire. Here she is, Serial 1902735, manufactured the second week of January this year.

Rickenbacker1.
    Rickenbacker3.
    Rickenbacker2.
    The satin neck is so smooth that I'm not used to it yet! I mean REALLY smooth, so much that my thumb was slipping at first. Don't get me wrong, NOT complaining! It's so much better than that sticky high gloss finish. The neck profile doesn't feel the same as on a painted Ric. Feels thinner.

Even though it's a walnut model, it still sounds just like a traditional Ric. These are probably the hottest passive pickups I've ever heard on a bass before. The pickup cover has got to go, I already have a treble pickup bezel from Pick of The Ricks to put in its place.

Only drawback that I see at this time is that due to the lightness of the bass, (8lbs, 3oz.), it has a bit of neck dive. Therefore I'm going to see if putting on a brass Hipshot bridge will balance it out. (I was going to do this anyway). If that doesn't cure it, then i can look at putting some ultralight Schaller tuners on it.

I know there's going to be a learning curve after playing my Sire jazz for so long, but I'm looking forward to every minute of it!

Cheers!

dannnnn, PWRL, Jeff Scott and 9 others like this.
  2. Congratulations! I love the walnut Ricks.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    You have chosen well, Ironbar! Beautiful walnut on that one. :thumbsup:

From my experience, the brass Hipshot bridge should even things out.

Ironbar likes this.
  4. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    i wish my rickenbackers were 8lb 3oz

5. Ironbar

Ironbar

Aug 24, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I wanted to add this last bit on my NBD reveal. A while back I worked with a fellow who was really in to music. He's also a hobbyist painter. When he found out that Geddy Lee was my inspiration for taking up the bass, he painted this for me in the style of all his musician paintings!

GeddyLee.

dannnnn and Jeff Scott like this.