1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Rickenbacker Content!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JSandbloom, Oct 3, 2017.

1. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    So I've decided oh a whim to buy a Rickenbacker 4003 just to see what all the fuss is about. I must say, not a fan so far. Seems to be very upper mid rangy mixed with some boominess. Possible it's the dead strings so I'm slapping on some half-rounds to see what that does. Here's a pic for this who love the Ricky's!

IMG_6205.JPG

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    What adjustments have you made to your amp rig to bring out the best of this new, to you, bass. Have you done a set up on the bass, yet? Pickup adjustments? Anything? Certainly, put fresh strings on it, and try some different strings to see what works best for it and you.

3. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    There are so many adjustments to the instrument itself (even before you start tweaking your amp/pedal chain) that you're likely to find the sound you want. Pickup height, setup, vol-tone adjustments (and make sure you are plugged into standard and not Rick-O-Sound unless you need it) and strings. Dead strings? Is this used or new?

4. If you're coming from a Fender or something like that they can take some getting used to but they're well worth the time. As the others have said just play around with it, you can get pretty much any sound out of them after you get used to them. they sound very good with flat wounds on them too, have a very big sound with them.

5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Hard to evaluate a fence, when you're posting...

... put the phone down, cable up, and get back with us in, say... a week.

(nice bass...)

6. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    Try all knobs all the way up except for the bass volume. Point that at the pickup selector switch. Vintage tone engage. Classic Rickenbacker tastiness.

I hope it grows on you, I certainly love mine.

BrentSimons, cataract, Kombo and 4 others like this.
  7. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    Not New York
    If you're looking for the Ric "sound" new strings would do it. Specifically, most people used roundwounds for the clank but since you're putting on half-rounds, so I assume you know what you want :) Macca has a great Ric tone, so part-way compromise seems good!

byoung93888 likes this.
  8. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    Well it certainly looks cool on ya!

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Congrats!

10. A good sound I have used a lot is set the two tones where you want them, half way is good, put the treble volume on full and back off the bass volume just a little bit, just enough to get some low midrange in the sound, will give you bite and presence, the cap control takes all the low mid out of the sound.

PWRL likes this.
  11. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Haha LOL. "Must say, I'm not a fan so far".

The Ric is not a one trick pony. You can do a lot and cover a lot of ground if you put in the effort. But if you don't like it right off the bat, you are going to have to be willing to work with it. Ric's IME fight you as a player at every opportunity. you have to wrassle it into submission:)

12. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    I’m a fan of everything until I’m not.

13. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Give yourself time to get used to it - I predict that you’ll learn to love it

bobyoung53 and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I had a '01 CR-V for many years. The first few years I was not enthralled with its winter/snow performance. Once I replaced the stock :poop: BF Goodrich tires with Michelin Hydroedge tires the CR-V became a whole 'nother, and fantastic, vehicle, in all weather conditions.

Zane DeBord and PeterH like this.
  15. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I've played good ones, and meh ones. I ended up with one that is pretty amazing. That said, I need to tweak the pickups to get them balanced a little better. Otherwise, the volume and tone pots and selector switch certainly give mine some range. Good luck getting yours sorted.

Michael Schreiber and bobyoung53 like this.
  16. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    When I began stringing my Ric basses with Prosteels & found their ideal pickup height settings, they came to life.
    Once you find which strings sound best to you & get her all dialed in, you are going to love that bass!

Congrats, and Enjoy!

fourlow, 2112, PWRL and 2 others like this.
  17. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 1.00.40 AM.png

Whoa!!! I recognize that geezer. :) Unless you are an imposter. :cautious:

What took you so long to get here? Slow boat from Oz? :laugh:

18. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    Hiya Jeff! Thought I'd finally venture into the high-octane world of TB. More time on my hands now the house-training has been successfully negotiated...

woodyng2 and Jeff Scott like this.
  19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    You just described the classic Ric Tone

smtp4me and markjazzbassist like this.
  20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    they do sound quite nice when dialed in and that's coming from a guy who plays big booty humbucker g&ls

Michael Schreiber and Alex Bass like this.