1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Rob Allen Mouse 30

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marial, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I've been hankering for one of Rob's basses for a long time and, since I wasn't really riding anymore, I took some of the proceeds from the sale of my motorcycle to scratch this off my bucket list.

[​IMG]

Here's a quick and dirty demo I did this evening. The bass went straight into Cubase and the only 'processing' is a bit of panning on the two harmony bits in the 'chorus'. Otherwise it's just pure Mouse. Pardon the clams, this bass is not kind to sloppy technique, so I have a welcome challenge ahead to get myself up to snuff.

Xyth, pudge, UNICORN BASS and 14 others like this.
  2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Congrats. Enjoy the moments that it gives you.

Marial likes this.
  3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    One of the most unique basses on the market. They are as close to an upright tonally as I have ever heard in a bass guitar. Really miss the one I had a few years ago... Nicely done!

Groove Doctor and Marial like this.
  4. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Thanks! Btw, that's exactly why I wanted one. I'm looking forward to the strings breaking in and losing the zing. Once that happens this bass is really going to come into its own.

5. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    Congrats, great looking Mouse. Yours looks completely different (but every bit as good) as mine. Enjoy!
    Mike

Groove Doctor and Marial like this.
  6. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Very, very cool. Enjoy it!

Marial likes this.
  7. mfbolton

mfbolton Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Owner - MFB Enterprises, Craftsman - Notlob Basses
    I've always thought these were awesome. Congrats!

pudge and Marial like this.
  8. Amazing bass...

Congrats. Rob's work seems to get better and better as he goes - if that is even possible...

Marial likes this.
  9. Gorgeous!!
    Which amps have you tried/settled on with your Mouse?
    Any pedals?

Todd @nostatic uses & got me interested in the Aguilar Agro, a lovely match surprisingly.
    - tames boominess HPF @45Hz.
    - contour can notch/boost @900Hz (I like a subtle notch).
    - presence cuts/boosts @>4kHz (ie the Mouse's tone knob).
    - saturation adds a little hair/OD and tastefully compresses just enough to sit nicely in a loud mix.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  10. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    I've run it through my Aggy TH500/AudioKinesis TC112v3 rig and it's pretty glorious, though I would actually prefer more low end so I've been considering a different head.

As for effects, I've run it through a bunch, Montreal Assembly CT5, various delays, a SGFX Beta, and others. Here's an improv through the CT5.

And a couple of thoughts: Rob is absolutely correct when he says this bass is not for those looking for immediate attack and there is fair amount of mwah though it can be damped with technique. This is an instrument for those looking for a lot of bloom in their notes. It's a phenomenal instrument.

UNICORN BASS and Groove Doctor like this.
  11. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I disagree with this somewhat, but it depends on your technique. I find that Rob's basses actually can have a very quick attack due to the piezo. But you have to play it more like an acoustic guitar than typical bass right hand technique. The bloom does quickly overwhelm the first attack but it is there. Also playing with a pick will get you a very fast clack as well.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  12. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    All true, but... the tone changes drastically played with a pick, and playing back by the bridge yields a faster attack, but, again, you face a rather dramatic change in tone. For me this is not a jack-of-all-trades bass, for that I have my Fenders. What it does do well it does spectacularly, however.

13. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    While not all trades, it will cover more than one might think. I played my Deep 5 in a straight funk band some years back. Not a Mouse, but my Deep 5 last night. Recorder out in the house.

(I swap to the Smith after the drum solo)

Groove Doctor likes this.
  14. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Great tone, as always, but a Deep 5 has a reasonably different tone than Mouse 4. ;) Thing is, it's not just tone, it's also how they feel to play. My technique on my Jazz basses is definitely different than the technique I use on my Mouse. I can't beat the crap out of the Mouse and have it sound good like I can with the Jazz basses. All that said, I can see using the Mouse in an old school funk band to a degree, but not in a straight ahead rock band, and certainly not in a metal band. It could be done, but, well, you know the rest.

15. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I'd say that was a great deal.Got rid of something you don't use or need and you get that mouse plus some cash to play with.Win.win,win

Marial likes this.