1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD, Rolling the Dice, Black Eagle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Mar 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    So I know there will be questions here. Admittedly, I DID have the opportunity to see, hold, and attempt to play(unplugged) this bass in broad daylight before I bought it....and I held it and looked at it for a long while before finally deciding to buy it.
    What I didn’t get a photo of is what gave me a glimmer hope....the neck screws were backed way allowing the neck to bow forward quite a bit.

25C7FF50-A20B-41EA-AB64-34D1A6120495. F5E0E43F-36F8-40BE-9C0A-C756BB9E2B54.

2. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Cool and Good luck, what is it, more pics please/thank you.

3. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Looks rough, but I enjoy these challenges. Will likely need a healthy sized neck shim, probably credit card thickness at least in the pocket. Keep us updated.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    So I dialed the bridge saddles down and reassembled the bass(with the neck tight) and played pretty darn well! Especially considering the funky home brew nut and just eyeballing everything and throwing it together. I know the strings are in poor tast on a 70’s bass but the originals were super rusty and they were all I had around.

328EFAE6-7691-4405-BC28-3E44DA1E3233.

5. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ibanez Black Eagle?

6. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    55FE2195-44E7-4260-901A-BD258C57573E.
    Yes, rough shape but it’s all there....more or less.

7. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The neck is great...typical Fujigen stuff:
    21503205-D758-4F8F-A9AC-4D86D5468358.
    Needs a nut...I can’t remember if these were white or black originally...probably will go with black either way.
    D33C4B12-0839-46DE-A90D-CAE8248506C7.

BrentSimons, NathOBX and mikewalker like this.
  8. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Dude, that thing is sexy.

BrentSimons and Spidey2112 like this.
  9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Jeeze, man! We’re you in that big of a hurry to get it together that the bridge saddles aren’t even straight after lowering them and the string winds on the tuning posts look like haphazard spaghetti...?
    Nice score, though...

lowphatbass likes this.
  10. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    That is slick! Looks like a winner.

11. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Maybe!
    This set-up was unusually bad. High saddles almost always indicate neck issues, but you generally don’t see backed-out neck screws. I was halfway expecting there to be some sort of shim....either way I needed to pull the neck and do some inspection before cranking it down.

12. I would roll the dice on a Black Eagle any day.

lowdownthump and RobTheRiot like this.
  13. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Wow!
    If you put in a lil work & there are no serious structural problems, that is a hell of a score!!
    Don’t know what you paid, but in that condition I’m assuming it was way under what the market is valuing those at nowadays!
    Please keep us updated w/ photos; being a lover of all old Ibby’s, I’d love to see that awesome bass restored to its full potential & glory!
    Good luck with it & congrats!!

lowphatbass and Bassbeater like this.
  14. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Thanks!
    Surprisingly enough there doesn’t seem to be any structural issues. I’m going to try to clean-up the electronics a little, the neck volume pot is pretty crunchy, but what’s there sounds really good when it’s there.
    I’m going to leave the neck under tension for another day or two just to monitor. I checked to truss rod when the neck was off and it seems to function, I’ll probably give it a crank and try to determine how much adjustment I have.
    Somebody hit this with a rattle can at least once. There’s nasty black overspray pretty much everywhere. The good news is that it was starting to come off during the initial wipe down with isopropyl. It seems that it was sprayed right on the gloss black finish, the adhesion is pretty poor. The overspray is already rubbed off on the “high traffic” areas, I’m hoping I can buff most of this out without heavy abrasives or chemicals.
    This bass definitely got played hard, neglected and mistreated. I think it’s always going to present like a 40+ year old bass that’s had a hard life...and that’s ok.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    A good project bass - a new nut is needed for sure. Is the hs in good shape? The cut-out lead to a number of them getting busted off there. If it was played hard it probably needs a fret-job. (close up of frets looks pretty rough) Also, with some testing you can find a solvent that will remove the over-spray w/o harming the finish. I think people would be interested if you started a resurrection thread and do step-by-step pics.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    SirMjac28, Reedt2000 and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. That bass has totally seen some time that is for sure, however those Ibanez's are awesome basses! I remember seeing Krist from Nirvana using one and though "that bass looks so cool!"

17. Looks like potentially fun and rewarding project. A rare bird that likely will end up as a solid workhorse.

Reedt2000 and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Agreed... a little TLC, and keep working your setup... pretty cool!

BrentSimons likes this.
  19. darkestsun

darkestsun

Nov 19, 2017
    South Dakota
    how much did you pay for it? as a friend of mine has one for sale in similar condition.

20. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Looks like the body got unceremoniously spray painted but the pickguard, control plate, and neck look clean. This is a great resto candidate for sure. You could try and remove the spray paint and maintain the original finish for the survivor/road worn look, or take the finish down, fill and flat it back for a re-paint. I agree with @JIO, a restoration thread would be great! :thumbsup:

ajkula66 likes this.