1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Rondo Content w/pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sijjvra, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    So last week I was finally able to replace my bass that got busted. I ordered this: http://www.rondomusic.com/eb6105trgr.html because it was all I can afford right now and because I've had pretty good luck with most of the brands offered on Rondo (I've owned 3 SX's and 2 Brice basses in the past, been happy with them all, especially the Brice Defiant I owned but had to sell because of scale length and weight issue).

So, first - pictures:

hadean3.

hadean4.

hadean5.

hadean6.

hadean7.

hadean2.

hadean1.

And now a quick review from the bit I got to play it today:

Fit and finish:

Pretty darned good for a 150 dollar bass. Neck fits tight in the pocket, no sharp or uneven frets, no loose saddles or knobs, nut is well glued, fretboard looks good, no cracks or chips or any of that stuff. It needs some very slight tweaking with intonation but is otherwise set up and ready to play.

Hardware:

Bridge is a bit more heavy duty than I first assumed from the picture. In fact, it seems pretty sturdy and I probably won't switch it out - no need to. Tuners are a little cheap, but those are easily replaced and will serve just fine for now. Strings are Rondo-stock strings - dead and junk, so those will be replaced asap.

Electronics:

One of the volume pots is just a wee bit scratchy, but I'm sure that's an easy fix and it's not bad enough that I grit my teeth or want to return the bass. The pickups aren't as versatile or powerful as what I had on my Defiant 5, but they're ok and do what they need to do to get the job done. I've got an EQ pedal and a few settings on my amp to tweak the tone if I need to anyway, but it only took me a few minutes to dial in a tone that will work just fine with the husband's guitar and amp settings that we use to record. Eventually I may upgrade them if I can find some good passive humbuckers for a 5 string.

Other stuff:

It's probably heavier than indicated on the website. I'm guessing more like 9.5 lbs than 8.5 lbs. The neck is -definitely- thicker than the Defiant neck, but it's workable and the shorter scale makes it more comfortable for me to play. B string is decent, not piano tone clear but not floppy mud either. I suspect putting some better strings on will make the B stand out a bit more, but even with the crap Rondo stock strings it's not bad at all.

So the verdict: So far from what I've got to inspect and the half an hour I played, this is a nice 5'er for 150 bucks. Heck, it would be a nice 5'er for twice that, as I've played some pretty awful 5 strings that cost a lot more. It's a keeper! It's pretty sharp looking, too (IMO) and I love the fact there's no logo or decal on the headstock. No one will ever know it's a cheap Chinese import from Rondo but me, and those savvy to the stuff offered on Rondo ;)

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice! Love that color. The neck looks too wide and flat for my taste, but if it's good for you, enjoy it!

3. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    The neck is definitely wider than I'm used to playing in the past few years. It reminds me a bit of the neck on the ATK300 I had around about 4 or so years back.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's a beautiful shade of green. I have to buy something from rondo someday. It just occurred to me that douglas's, Brice's and hadeans from rondo never show up in the classifieds. I guess that means owners are really happy with them? Or maybe the shipping cost doesn't justify the low resale value. Either way...my gas just went up for one of these.

5. Nice, and I do like the green - deoxit works wonders on scratchy pots.

6. Draculea

Draculea

Oct 2, 2011
    Mexico City
    Nice bass, enjoy it!

7. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I've sold a few SX's on Craigslist and a Brice as well... the SX's went quick, the Brice took a while (probably because the Brice basses aren't as well known as the SX brand name). But, so far, I've not seen any Rondo stuff on my local Craigslist either aside from what I sold myself (I was switching to a 5 string in the case of the SX's, the Brice was one of two Brice 5 strings I had, I decided to sell one and keep the Brice Defiant 5. I sort of wish I still had the SX P bass I sold because it was rather awesome and really fun to tool around on). I suspect it's a little of both (low resale and most people seem generally happy with the purchase), plus - depending on your region - it could be not a lot of people know about Rondo. Almost no one in my area does. Fender, Ibanez, Gibson, etc... is about all anyone up here has heard of, usually.

I'd say pull the trigger if you really want to try one. Rondo has a great return policy anyway, so even if nothing is wrong with the bass but you just decide not to keep it or don't like it, all you have to pay is shipping and you get a full refund. IF something is wrong with it (I did return one SX once because the volume didn't work and it was missing a saddle screw, that was an isolated incident, never had any other issues with my purchases there) they refund and pay the shipping. So you really have nothing to lose :D

Also @ Solarmist - I will try that out and see how it works, thanks!