1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

NBD - SBMM Ray34

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Resonance129, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Hey all,

Just got my newest addition - an SBMM Ray34 in Honeyburst. Found it on Reverb.com for $375 and couldn't pass it up. It was a "prototype" floor demo that was an exclusive for the store it was being demo'd in (The Bass Place). I'd been GAS'in for a Ray34 for a while (can't afford an EBMM at the moment), and when I saw that price tag, I jumped.
    It was well packaged and looks practically brand new. Has some minor scratches and dings on the pick guard, but that's totally a non-issue in my opinion (plus, the PG still has the film on it). They even threw in a gig bag and some Warwick Red Label strings for free - totally unexpected perk.
    I haven't had a chance to plug it in and check the electronics yet - had it shipped to my job so it wouldn't sit on my porch. Gonna plug it up as soon as I get home. Took a few cell phone pics as I opened it up:

image1_zpsffucxidb.jpg

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    image3_zpsclmtvqyk.jpg
    image6_zpsnhci3zcr.jpg
    image4_zps0eduqyqf.jpg
    image5_zps7evefajg.jpg

Can't wait to get home :smug:

Cropduster, Eddie95Z28, MCF and 22 others like this.
  2. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Beautiful bass. Congrats!

Resonance129 likes this.
  3. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Very cool, Congrats!

Resonance129 likes this.
  4. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Thanks much :)

Finally got her home and plugged her in. I'm quite satisfied with her so far.
    The addition of the midrange control is a plus, IMO. I've heard/read some people say it takes away from the "Classic Stingray sound", but I like the added control. When I want that middy, throaty sound, I can add it in with the flick of the wrist. Can't wait to see what she sounds like mixed in with the rest of the band.

Badwater likes this.
  5. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Nice looking bass, now go play the dots off of it, Congrats!

6. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    $375!?!? That's a steal! I really like my Ray34. Just put on EB cobalt flats and it sounds incredible.

Looks like a mahogany body, is that correct?

7. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    I thought the same. Couldn't let it sit on the site for too long at that price.

I'm actually not positive on the wood type, though. This is one of the few "prototype" basses SBMM made that are exclusives. It's not like the honeyburst in their regular line. The grain of the wood and the actual burst look very different from what's on the site. It's pretty lightweight too (only 8lb 7oz). I've inquired about what I got, so I'm just waiting to hear back. Regardless, I like it a lot. Very responsive, and once I change out the strings (I'm thinkin either DR Hi Beams, RotoSounds, or Ernie Ball Slinkys), I'm gonna be one happy camper.

I put the EB Cobalt Flats on my PBass and love what it did to my sound and feel. Might even have to try those on this one, too. So many options...

johnson79 likes this.
  8. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    Great Basses. I've since put so much work into mine that I can't even think of selling it. Started with a natural and it's now a transparent blue burst with matching headstock.

9. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    The quilted top and koa top basses are all mahogany bodies. I bet that's what you've got, minus the fancy tops. Maybe a prototype of those? Either way it's a killer bass. Heck, I thought mine was a good deal at $675!

10. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Very nice and at an unbelievable price! It has one too many knobs though;p

11. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    drooldrooldrool

Hey Resonance! :thumbsup:

So "honeybunny" becomes the next Miss Georgia or maybe your....

XWeRhScS.jpg

happy NBD :D:D:D

may the "honeybunnybass" be with you

Wise(b)ass

12. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Oh man, 'd like to see pics of that. I was staring at a blue quilted maple one with the maple fret board before I pulled the trigger on this one for a while. Never was a fan ofblue basses till I saw this one with the matching headstock.

mattattack187 likes this.
  13. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    I'm not actually sure what wood it is. Very well could be mahogany (I'm no good at identifying woods yet).
    It really is a nice sounding bass though. I played along with a few tracks last night when I got home and it just mixes so well, even in comparison to my PBass. I think I just like that Stingray tone on more of the stuff I play which tends to be funky or heavy.

14. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    lol No mids knob hatin :spit:!

I kinda like that mids knob though. I haven't really taken the time to know of any major differences between 2 and 3 band EQ on this model bass, but I like it. To leave the bass flat, push the mids to about 75%, and push the treble to maybe 60%, I was in heaven.

15. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory

Haa, you may have just named her for me - My lil "Hunny Bunny" :cool:

Thanks much, man

Wisebass likes this.
  16. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    I'll have to take some when I get a chance. It's not quite as cool as the Pacific Blue model they have out but it looks great. I didn't have the burst go too much onto the body, more on the sides. Only way I'd let it go is if I decided to trade a couple Basses for an American Fender P Bass.

17. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    Wait - is that a cat bed on your desk ?!

18. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Great bass and what a price! It is one of the first runs of the Ray34 and the body is ash.

Only in the past year or so has SBMM gone to mahogany (when they started doing basses in China and adding fancy tops).

19. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory

Why, yes it is a cat bed on my desk lol. Big Brother Romeo likes to sun bathe right there :cool:.

Mark_70 likes this.
  20. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Looks awesome! I bet it will sound even better played loudly with your band. :thumbsup:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021