1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: SBMM Ray34CA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimruth, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Jimruth

Jimruth Supporting Member

F5C432B7-1BA9-484B-A5B3-CC0732F22607. 8D315BDA-A29F-48A8-8F10-86F244417F41. C8957BE4-E1F3-491E-B1CF-751D2CB22FA0. I told myself I didn’t need another bass, but this deal was (far) too good to pass up. It needs a thorough cleaning and a setup, along with new screws for the pickguard, control plate, and pickup. I won’t have time to this until the weekend. But this bass is in really good shape. I’m eager to get it ready and take it to rehearsal — and see whether anyone notices. Ha ha.

Right now I’m thinking:
    1. Chromes, and
    2. Tort? (Would be my first/only.)

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Very nice!! Can’t go wrong with a Ray.

Jimruth likes this.
  3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Cool...I was thinking about trying out a 5-string version of a sterling bass myself. I have been curious about these basses recently. if I get a chance to go to a music store and they have one, I would like to try one out and see how it is.

Jimruth likes this.
  4. Jimruth

Midterm update: tonight I finally got around to cleaning all the DNA off the body of the bass (neck is tomorrow), replacing rusted screws, etc. It’s cleaning up nicely. No surprise there.

What is surprising is the beauty of the wood. I believe it’s ash. At this point I’m thinking about going with a clear pickguard, but I also am inclined to something opaque in order to maintain the traditional “toilet seat” appearance of a Stingray.

0C23B818-3E6F-448C-9238-F33EFCB547E7. 0CD45D75-AEBE-4EA8-A363-00BB5F848A81.
    Thoughts?

HD007, pjbassist and G-Z like this.
  5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I like the black pickguard. :thumbsup:

lowdownthump and Jimruth like this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Me too

HD007, Jimruth and Slater like this.
  7. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    That model is really good.
    I had one for a while another member bought a few months back.

I preferred it to my 30th sr4 bc it was lighter and had a good 2-badn + Alnico sound.

Jimruth and lowdownthump like this.
  8. Jimruth

Finished the "refurbishment" last night: new screws for the pickguard and control cavity cover, cleaned the screws and pole pieces on the pickup; truss rod adjustment; string height and intonation; pickup height adjustment; installation of EB Chromes. Got the action really, really low. Plays like a dream and has nice, even volume. Its quality is higher, I believe, than my MIM Geddy Lee Jazz.

I look forward to practicing with it several times a week and taking it to rehearsals.

lowdownthump and Crusher47 like this.
  9. Jimruth

Finally took this bass to rehearsal last night. It’s set up with EB Cobalts (RW). It sounded really good through my GK MB212 combo. I mean, really good. Not that anyone else in the band noticed my “new” bass (see my avatar for proper intonation).

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    These guys don't believe in the same old, same old when it comes to pickguards.
    Translucent might be nice on yours, too.
    24f018o.
    k32gko.
    xcrrzm.

Jimruth likes this.