1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - SBMM Ray35 KOA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenGuitarist, Mar 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. My path to owning a Ray35 KOA goes back to last fall. At that time I already had a Ray34 that I really liked so I decided to order a Ray35 KOA as my first five string. It was backordered and after a few weeks I started having second thoughts about getting a five string so I cancelled the order. Stupid me.

In December I saw a Ray35 in Quilted Amber on clearance for a great price and decided to order it. However when I received it I was really disappointed with it. I found that surprising because I really liked my Ray34 and while this was my first five string, I didn't have that much difficulty adjusting to a five string - it was just something about the bass.

After spending a couple of months trying to get the Ray35 set up to my satisfaction, I gave up and decided to order the one I really wanted all along - the KOA one.

It arrived yesterday and - WOW! - what a improvement over the other Ray35 I own. First of all the KOA finish is absolutely stunning and looks like a much more expensive bass. Mine still needs a setup but it feels really good in my hands and the sound is nice and smooth. It weighs 10.0 lbs. which I think is pretty average for a Ray35.

If anyone is looking at a Ray34 or Ray35 you should seriously consider purchasing the KOA model. It's a bit more expensive than the regular and quilted finish models, but I think it's worth it.

Ray35KOA1.

Ray35KOA2.JPG

Ray35KOA3.JPG

ODDBALL, SteveCS and ajkula66 like this.