NBD - SBMM SB-14, BLUE!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanJD, Feb 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    20180209_170939.jpg

This beauty just came in today. Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet, but the playability is definitely there. And I'm loving the aesthetics.
    Also, am I right in assuming this is birdseye in the maple neck? It sure looks like it.
    I'll report back when I can run it through its paces. I've never owned a Music Man or a Sterling instrument, so I'm excited to see what it can do. In the mean time, have some more photos:

20180209_171734.jpg 20180209_171743.jpg 20180209_171853.jpg 20180209_171950.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Yetiparty, Giffro, Crusher47 and 10 others like this.
  2. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    The best part? I got it for the price of a SUB Ray4... No idea how, since it literally says SB14 in bold on the headstock...
    The confusing lineage and nomenclature of Sterling instruments worked in my favor I guess.

One thing I particularly like is the nut width. I alternate between 5 strings and a 4 string P bass normally. And I don't own a Fender J any more, so it's nice to play on a skinny 1.5" nut again. Make me think I need to swap my P for a PJ. (Or maybe just the neck...)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Warhawk likes this.
  3. Nice bass! Would love to try one sometime and see how it would compare to the Sterling 4H.

RyanJD likes this.
  4. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks man. I've got no first-hand experience on how it would fare in comparison, but I did a lot of reading and the general consensus seems to be that it gets 90% of the way to the USA Sterling model, in terms of sound/fit and finish, at something like 40% of the price. (Or whatever it actually was when comparing new prices. $1600 vs $600?)
    The only problem is that they're discontinued. But you can pick one up cheap with some patience.

5. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Can anyone confirm that I've got bird's eye figuring in the neck?

6. Wow, that's a beauty! Congrats!

RyanJD likes this.
  7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Nice find. Congrats. Pre-owned SB14s in good shape are almost as rare as U.S.-made SUBs lately.

pudgychef and RyanJD like this.
  8. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    If it looks like birds eyes in the figuring then it is, that is all it takes to determine it, you get to be the official judge.

bholder likes this.
  9. Definitely looks like you've got some birdseye figuring in the neck. Nice score! Beautiful color.

RyanJD likes this.
  10. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Man, this is the nicest SBMM color combo I've ever seen. And there is defiantely Birdseye in the neck. Also, looks like the fretboard is a little dry.

RyanJD likes this.
  11. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Gorgeous! How do you like it plugged in? I find EBMM/SBMM sit great in the mix - those SB14s are quite highly regarded.

RyanJD likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022