NBD! Shen SB150

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by HateyMcAmp, Nov 23, 2021 at 5:49 PM.

1. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    29AE9CA9-722F-46F4-A6E0-7AC5C1C420E3.jpeg

Behold my new DB, a well-loved Shen SB150 a friend sold to me (thank you again, Bob!) Although I have previously had two Shen plywood basses (and ply basses from Christopher, Eastman, Thomann, and Eberle) this is my first carved top bass of any kind. Don’t know if I’ll ever go back. Maybe I just got a good one but it’s a dramatic difference both sound and playability wise from the plys I’ve owned, some of which were pretty good sounding and playing instruments IMO.

Even with old and dark Evah weichs on the bass this thing just oozes sound. It’s not that I can’t get a good sound with a ply but it’s almost effortless with this new bass. It just feels so loose and resonant, even with higher string height. The arco is pretty glorious; I put a lot of effort into the bow the last few years and I really feel the level up on this new bass.

I never really wanted to admit gear makes this much of a difference but here I am. Really pleased to finally have a carved top instrument and excited to make music with it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021 at 6:03 PM
  2. The affordable hybrid has certainly made our DB era more accessible.

Congratulations, I doubt you’ll be returning to laminates.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It's not "gear." ;)

Congrats!

AGCurry and HateyMcAmp like this.
  4. Very nice, congratulations!

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  5. vanderbrook

vanderbrook Some days, I miss frets... Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Congrats. I may be upgrading to one of those soon, myself. Cost/benefit analysis winner!

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  6. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    They are great sounding basses.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  7. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    These are excellent. My hybrid Chadwick Folding Bass is a repurposed Shen SB150, and it also sings under Evahs. Enjoy!

damonsmith and HateyMcAmp like this.
  8. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Congratulations.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  9. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Nice get!

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  10. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Beautiful, congrats!!!

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  11. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    I had a set of Superflexible solos on hand and I wanted to try a “lower tension” option for the bass, and was surprised that the Evah weichs were only negligibly tighter, more flexible in some ways, and sounded much thicker/louder. The Evahs won for arco, and slapped much better and easier than I would expect them to. I guess I was expecting them to feel prettt stiff, but I think they really shine on this bass. I had used them on a nicely set up plywood loaner bass from David Gage years ago and they felt too tight on that instrument.

If I go lower tension I’ll try Evah Slap next, but sticking with the Evah line for certain.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I never got the attraction of Superflexibles. The feel floppy and sound hollow. The Evah Weich’s are the superior string between the two, IMO.

HateyMcAmp and Reiska like this.
  13. Superflexibles are the gas station burritos of strings. Overpriced for what they are, hard to work and utterly devoid of flavor. I trash-talk them at every opportunity.

HateyMcAmp and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  14. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Evah weichs can sound and feel great! On my bass they take higher action easily while still maintaining the softer feel.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  15. Same here, I have been very impressed with it. I use Spiros, though and it speaks well them.

Good work. That is a great instrument to have!

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2021