1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Shen SB190 5/8-3/4

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by nostatic, Mar 7, 2013.

1. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    After almost 20 years since I played upright regularly I decided it was time to double again. Did some research then decided to not admire the problem for too long and bought one that I liked. I went in thinking Shen SB100, but since I'm spoiled on the electric side my budget crept up. I ended up with an instrument that so far I like a lot. It is one of the Shen SB190s that has the 5/8 body with 3/4 neck. It was between that and an SB200 but for once I decided to save a bit of money. Plus I like the idea of the hybrid and aesthetically dig flatbacks so win-win. Strung with Spirocore weichs (I run light gauge on my electrics and have to be careful about avoiding tendonitis and RSI). I installed the KK this evening after a bit if filing and am not crazy about the sound but I never have been happy with amplified upright (though a necessity if I'm going to do jazz gigs with it). Truth be told my Rob Allen Deep 4 sounds way better amplified, but they are different beasts. Also picked up both French and German bows and have a lesson scheduled for next weekend to help make sure I don't reacquire a bunch of bad habits.

The fun begins again...

sb190-1.

sb190-2.

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Congrats-- looks nice! Not surprised that you don't find the K&K to be impressive. Head over to the amps, etc. forum and you'll see how you can instantly spend the money you saved! :)

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    A Fishman Full Circle should get you a better sound. Then there is the string conundrum. Pairing the right strings with the right pickup. Against all expectations I went with LaBella 7710s for my current jazz setup.

4. I've got the same bass, currently strung with an old set of Spiro weichen. My Ehrlund pickup certainly does a good job on this setup...

5. That thing is sweet!

I've got an SB100 and I love it. I really want to get a set of Spirocore's as I think they are probably a better finger style string than my Innovation Honeys. I'm new to upright though, just learning all this stuff..

How long have you been playing upright?