1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Shen SB80

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by joshmickelson, Oct 16, 2010.

1. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I decided to take the plunge and get a Shen SB80 from Robert Ross here in Denver. I am beyond happy with my purchase! Bob upgraded the endpin, tail piece and bridge. It's strung with Spirocores and sounds great!

Only picture so far:
    5086783757_54bb8b8134_b.jpg

2. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    I've been enjoying my SB80 for > 4 years now. It's a really great bass...

Congrats!

3. Rocky

Rocky Inactive

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Congrats on the new bass!

4. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Congratulations! Nice choice.

I hope that you play it long and well...

5. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Thanks guys!

6. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Inactive

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Sexy Sexy.

How bout a youtube review of whatcha think so far, how it sounds, ect?

that is if youve taken the time to stop playing it long enough to get a camera!

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Congrats! Looks really pretty. A wise choice all the way around, it would seem, especially because you now have a solid relationship with a real luthier.

Enjoy!

8. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I will work on that! i am having my first lesson tomorrow, so sorry in advance for my playing. haha

9. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Thoughts from my first weekend with her:

the Spiros are a bit quieter than the cheap chinese strings on my last bass, they are a lot more clear and thumpy though. My intonation has improved just from better hearing the notes I am playing. I could probably raise the string height a bit and get more volume. I really enjoy the matte finish on the back of the bass. Also excited to bow this sucker.

10. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Also, I am going to take it in and have Bob install the bass max and look at the endpin (open a is rattling a little bit)

11. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    congrats! - I've been playing an SB80 I got used for almost 2 years now.

12. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hey Josh, congrats! I hope she servers you well. Bob and I were just discussing endpin rattles not an hour ago. We've come to the conclusion that if you want to build a rattle, ask an endpin maker how. :D
    This may save you a trip: if you screw the tip off, the next thing on the shaft is a knurled nut. Make sure it is tight. We often times put loctite or superglue on the threads when we set them up here, because they like to jiggle loose.

Good luck and thanks!
    John

13. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the response, John!

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My endpin buzzed, and somehow I guessed that the portion of the pin inside the bass was resonating. I cut 2 inches off the top of the pin, and the buzz went away.

salcott likes this.
  15. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Yea, I had my first lesson last night with the new bass and there are a couple issues I am going to have Bob fix.

1. The end pin is too long and is rattling a bit, (I've tightened the tip). Hopefully the rattle is just coming from the length.

2. The A string has a rattle at the nut, it was just cut a tad bit too low. I'm sure Bob can easily shim it and eliminate the rattle.

My teacher was extremely impressed with the tone and pricepoint of this bass and very happy with my purchase.

16. Astronaut Don

Astronaut Don

Feb 7, 2013
    Denver
    I'm thinking about getting a shen off of Ross here in Denver as well. Did you buy a used one off of him or was it a new?

17. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    I live in the Denver area and take my SB80 to Bob Ross. It was intially from upton, but he’s done a pretty big repair on the bass and has done a bunch of little tweaks over the years. Bob’s a very good luither who really knows how to get th we basses sounding their best, and sells them new / rent to own for very fair rates. I mean, it’s a plywood student instrument and all but I’ll be darned if it isn’t a pretty sweet sounding and playing pizz bass. IIRC, Bob prefers the SB88 with the fancy oil finish these days, which list prices for about $75 more than the SB80.

18. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Save yourself the headache and never change your strings :) Congrats on the bass.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  19. Check for lose piece on tuners , mine has one that rattles.

20. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    FWIW, this thread is from 2010...

WillieB likes this.