1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD...short lived

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NewGuy, Mar 12, 2013.

1. NewGuy

NewGuy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    The brown truck delivered a good thing today. 1363140634951.
    All I can say is it looked and sounded better than I could've imagined. Unfortunately, since I learned (And still learning) bass on a 5 string I just can't seem to adjust to a 4 string. I made this post for anyone who is considering a bass purchase under $1K. I think this particular bass was last years model (2 tone vs. current model 3 tone) and @ under $600 I couldn't imagine a nicer bass. This thing is a funk machine.
    I will just continue my love affair with my 5 string beauty.. 1363140937044.
    No complaints here!

2. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    U could string it bead

3. NewGuy

NewGuy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    I thought about doing that, but my main reason for the purchase was to try to learn a "traditional" 4 string so I could pick up any bass and play when asked to sub unexpectedly. But I was so very impressed. If anything ever happens to my Warwick I will for sure get the 5 string version of the Sterling Ray!

4. Give it time, your idea was a good one, takes time to adjust but will make you a more rounded and versatile player if you stick with it.

EDIT: Actually it's funny, I got my Ray34 from the previous owner for the same reason, she couldn't get used to not having the low B.

5. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    I agree with pimmsley I recently went back to a 4 string pbass after a year with a jazz v it took a couple of days but honestly I missed playing a 4 string p whole reason I switched back

6. NewGuy

NewGuy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    I know you all are trying to offer me some wisdom. The problem is I've been playing bass since 2004 and I've never played a 4 string. I think when life calms down a little I will try again. I don't feel like my skill level is where it should be for the time I've been playing so I'm just trying to not confuse my hands by switching LOL.

7. That's cool ;) no rules here, but yeah a shame if it's not what you hoped :(

8. NewGuy

NewGuy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Well its been a week and I keep thinking about that bass I returned. I may try it again. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach a 4 string after initially learning on a 5 string?

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Retraining your mind and hands at the same time takes time and patients, there's no "silver bullet". When I wanted to play 4 strings after 20+ years of playing 5's I went with the "total emersion" approach as much as possible.

The hardest thing is playing the songs you already know well and have been playing a long time. Just relearn one song at a time.

10. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

Just play it. I play an upright, an EB-2 (short scale), a P (long scale), and plain old guitars with six strings and all. Once you get over the initial shock, it makes everything else easier to play the same things on more than one instrument. Maybe it's because it breaks the mental crust around what you do and makes you think about different ways to do things. Who knows. I just know there's no magic, just time.

11. I have two 4s, a 5 and a 6 and have no problem switching from one to another. Give it some time.

12. NewGuy

NewGuy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    I got the 4 string back today. I plugged it in during my lunch break and it sounds as good as I remember. I'm gonna stick with it this time. :thumbup:

13. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    +1

14. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    I recently made the switch to a traditional 4 from starting on 5 and exclusively playing 5 or 6's, and mainly fretless at that, since I started in '94 ('93?). The best advice I can offer is total immersion- in your situation, put the 'wick in it's case, in a closet, and don't touch it for a month. You'll still miss the B (I know I do at times), but you'll be much farther down the road w/ the 'Ray and 4's in general than if you flip-flop hourly or daily. As always ime, ymmv, blah blah blah...

Rob
    :bassist:

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I rotate my 4 & 5. You get used to both.