1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Short, Mexican, and beautiful.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jswigal, Feb 14, 2020 at 12:57 PM.

1. jswigal

jswigal

Mar 20, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    So, I had always shrugged off short-scale basses as 'children's toys,' or at best a novelty that fits into some very specific situations, and it was with that sentiment that I picked up the MiM P/J Mustang that was hanging out at our rehearsal spot last week. I played a couple tunes on it and was amazed by the quality of the fit and finish, and how, well, just 'fun' it felt to play. It haunted me. I checked out another one at a local shop to make sure it wasn't a fluke...but I don't much like Pao Ferro finger boards, or pastel colors; so I was safe, right?

But unfortunately we live in a world with the internet, and Fender decided to release P/J Mustangs with great paint-jobs and maple fingerboards: Don't let the crappy image quality of my phone's camera fool you; this thing is gorgeous!

I dialed in the intonation pretty quickly, and the action wasn't too bad to start. I gave the truss rod about 1/16 of a turn and it responded nicely. I have a set of Chromes arriving this evening to go with it, and am expecting all kinds interesting responses from my band-mates when it shows up to the gig Saturday night.

If y'all are interested in better photos, I can dig out the pro-camera; since I know there hasn't been much out there about these maple/sienna-burst Mustangs...

Cheers!

DSC_0014.JPG

2. Beautiful indeed, congrats! Enjoy it. I really like the new colours that the MIM PJ Mustangs come in - especially this one with the maple board.

dralionux and jswigal like this.
  3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yep, they're very nice. My Mustang LE P/J is one of the best sounding basses I've ever had.

jswigal likes this.
  4. Congrats on the new shorty! :thumbsup:

I have TWO of those, however, they are both pastels. Love 'em. The sonic blue one has the darkest pau ferro I've ever seen too.

Nunovsky, jswigal and Microbass like this.
  5. Not a big fan of the Mustang body shape but the pastel colours are fantastic, as is that sienna burst! Dang.

instrumentlevel and jswigal like this.
  6. Nice bass! Enjoy!

jswigal likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a beauty indeed!

jswigal likes this.
  8. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    dang, that looks nice! Love the color combo. I didn’t know they had this model in sunburst/maple

jswigal likes this.
  9. Very nice. I agree with you completely. The Mustangs have always interested me, but the colors and lack of a Maple fretboard option have always kept me from taking the plunge. This one is exactly what I have been waiting for.

10. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Little lupe?

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Isn’t it amazing how much better our lives quickly become once we abandon our preconceived notions about things and actually go and try them out for ourselves? :laugh:

“Hands on” is everything. Play it well! :thumbsup::)

9DA31E56-911B-4644-B568-473AE407CC1B.jpeg

jswigal and Plucky The Bassist like this.
  12. As soon as I read your title I thought “Mustang”, and when I saw P/J I knew for sure. If you enjoy yours as much as I’ve enjoyed mine you’re going to have a really good time!

I’d love to put some flats on mine, but it has the best roundwound tone of any in my stable with the stock strings so I haven’t changed them. Maybe I need two...

13. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Needs tort.

40Hz and jswigal like this.
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I was recently saved from a similar fate. I went to the big city for a medical procedure. I arrived on Wednesday with my stuff scheduled for Friday. When i got to town i stopped by GC for no other reason than to look at more than the three basses for sale in the little shop in my newly adopted home town. Among the slew of basses was an MIM PJ Mustang. I picked it up and played it for a minute and decided if i was still among the living come Saturday i would go get it, ugly green scratch plate and all. I (obviously) got out of the hospital alive but when i returned to GC someone had already beat me to the punch.

15. soulstew

soulstew Supporting Member

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    As soon as I read it, I thought
    upload_2020-2-15_9-44-1.jpeg Salma Hayek:)

That IS a beautiful mustang, though.

MrLenny1, Frank77, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  16. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Nice! Join the Mustang Club thread. Warning: you’ll soon be GASing for a JMJ to run with your new beauty.

17. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

Maple+black+burst=where it’s at! Congratulations.
    0A711C75-0908-4D33-94E2-46A3E3044A12.jpeg

18. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    That sienna maple combo is fantastic!

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  19. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, erstwhile reed man Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Don't be taking about me like that— oh nevermind, you talking about a bass

jswigal likes this.
  20. Pearl green with mint PG and maple FB. And it came with free lessons! AA6AD0B7-693C-4AD9-A5DE-235EC4491AFE.jpeg

Doctor Morbius likes this.