1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD short scale Stingray!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nick4bass, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Actually got it yesterday but too busy to post. LOVE IT! Plan to use it for Friday & Saturday gigs. Passive, but still sounds like a Stingray to me! MM-Stingray.

2. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Sexy! Glad to hear they sound as good as they look. I tried to order one through Sweetwater but they said EBMM wouldn't let them ship to Canada. Curses!

reynplaysbass likes this.
  3. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    It's adorable! 22 frets with woods and quality by EBMM? Sweet short scale, for sure.

MattZilla likes this.
  4. I get mine tomorrow 9/10/19. Very excited....I bought the maroon one with the rosewood FB.

5. Can we get a video showing the tonal capability of these? Appreciate it!

dralionux likes this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

what scale is it? very nice! the ax looks 'solid' as well as pretty. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

reynplaysbass likes this.
  7. 30”

8. dralionux

dralionux

Feb 3, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Does it have a smaller body than the 34” Stingray?

9. Yes, the body is scaled down. Slightly bigger than a Strat, maybe? 7.2 lbs. on the bathroom scale. No neck dive. I'm not much on making videos, but maybe this weekend.

MattZilla, dralionux and scottm like this.
  10. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Very cool to hear you like it! I’ve been thinking of ordering one.

-ScottM

11. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Oh god... I just found out about these. There goes another two grand. :rolleyes: Because I HAVE to have one! For years I've been thinking about putting together a short scale with a Stingray pickup (as in a Warmoth build or something). Guess I don't have to do that any more. And yes, that short scale Stingray does look sexy for sure. The blue with maple board will soon be in my stable. I'm intrigued by the passive electronics as well. Maybe it will sound a bit like Joe Dart's signature Stingray? Hopefully it will sound a bit like that even though I sure as hell can't PLAY like him!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 4:40 PM
    Green Knight, dralionux and scottm like this.
  12. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah

And... it is now on it's way--ultramarine blue/maple. Pretty excited to see what a short scale Stingray can do (and those passive electronics). Hopefully I'll stay that way once I get it. I'm sure I will. I've never had a Stingray (several) or Sterling (several) or Caprice (one) or Sabre (one) that wasn't a first class instrument.

After watching the couple of videos on Youtube... that passive 20 db "boost" has me a bit mystified, though. I'm assuming it is just attenuated without the boost and "full on" with the boost? Because how does one "boost" with a passive bass? doesn't that require onboard power? I realize that calling the circuit a "cut with the knob down and full with it pulled up" wouldn't have been very good marketing, but isn't that what it amounts to? Guess I'll find out in two days (shipped second day air!). Exciting...

13. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Passive bass "boost," to me, suggests some sort of capacitor arrangement (cutting highs to create the illusion of boosting bass), like G&L's OMG mode on the L-1000.

MattZilla likes this.
  14. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    You are probably right. I have a Fender bass with the TBX tone control and although I wouldn't really call it a boost, it does give the illusion of a sort of boost when cranked. Actually sounds really good--almost like an active bass when full on. I suppose the Stingray could be some sort of a variation on that theme. That would actually be pretty cool.

15. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Well... pleasant surprise: there is this newly uploaded video.

16. leona1

leona1 Supporting Member

May 27, 2009
    If anyone is interested, I have the same bass (blue / maple)
    Tried it and I think I'm sticking to 34'' scale! Purchased it at Sweetwater.

17. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    You know... too many music store spec pages that I've seen so far have something wrong on these basses (when compared to the Music Man website). A little more care when typing the specs out would be nice. I've seen wrong string gauges listed, wrong nut width listed, wrong body wood listed. Maybe I'm just being OCD, but come on! :rollno:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019 at 11:07 PM
  18. SunByrne

SunByrne

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Wait, it's passive? I thought all Stingrays were active. Learn something new every day...

19. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Yes passive. A few years back I had a Stingray "special run" that had active/passive switching and a passive tone knob. As I recall, there wasn't much of a difference in the overall tonal character between the two. I also recall that I didn't really like the way they had the tone pot tuned. It was more like a "midrange emphasis knob" than it was a traditional tone knob. I'm hoping that is not the case with this bass. I'm also excited about the coil switching--I used that all the time on the EBMM Sterlings I've owned.

I'm picking mine up today (FINALLY! UPS has me annoyed for sure, 2nd Day Air has turned to 4th day Air).

scottm likes this.