NBD: Silver and gold

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BBassBassington, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Stock

90 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Tort

21 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. White

9 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Silver Sparkle

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Anodized gold

22 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Sell all your possessions and invest in carrots

16 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Or is it silver or gold? Whatever it is it's a 75th anniversary Fender P Bass, made in Mexico.

I got a new amp Friday and then I was like y'know what? I don't like this here BTB that much anymore, nor do I like my BB-1X and Agro. So off to Long and McQuade who just got this bad boy in stock. Didn't even have tags on it. I walked in, grabbed it, noticed it sparkles a lot more than it does in pictures and it was super light. That was it I was taking it.

I already took the new Roto flats off my parts Fender P and put that one up for sale. Gave the new one a setup with the Rotos and... well it's a P bass! Sounds like one, plays like one, but it's probably the lightest one I've gotten my hands on. The action easily went super low without issue and it's just on the edge of wanting to be buzzy but isn't there. And although it looks great with a tort guard for now I just prefer the black.

It feels a little silly to go from a Fender P to a Fender P though.
    20210613_153203.jpg 20210613_153209.jpg 20210613_153216.jpg 20210613_153244.jpg 20210613_152818.jpg 20210613_152835.jpg 20210613_152847.jpg

2. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'd call it pewter, but that's just me. Sweet looking bass, especially with the matching headstock.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'll go off the board and say black sparkle.

Outbush, TinIndian, craig0316 and 9 others like this.
  4. Nice bass! I think I’d go with a white pearl pickguard and see how that looks. I really like that metallic finish :thumbsup:

My local L&M has one each of the MIA 75th anniversary Strat, Tele, P, and J. Those burst finishes with gold hardware look really sharp. The P bass looks especially nice :drool:

Pdaddy1978, N4860 and BBassBassington like this.
  5. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Oh, that'd look pretty sweet!

JimmyM likes this.
  6. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    I love both the P basses and Strats. I think they're the best looking of both 75th ranges.

I actually put a white pearl guard up to it when I was setting it up and I didn't like it but looks are subjective!

7. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    A beauty.

8. Yay!!! Mirror.

BBassBassington likes this.
  9. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I’ve got the same bass. Mine is really great as far as fit finish hardware and playability. I’ve Had mine 6 months now.

My guard is warping though. Torn between Trying to flatten it back out or replacing it.

choices …

10. wncBass

wncBass

Jan 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    That thing is perfect just how it is!

11. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    I voted stock. I really like the look. Or black pearl...

HardNHeavy and BBassBassington like this.
  12. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Beat me to it!!!

Billyzoom and BBassBassington like this.
  13. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    Wonderful looking bass. I really prefer when it says Precision Bass in the big letters. I really wish that and the big black 70s style logos would make a return too, not a big fan of the spaghetti style Fender uses so much right now.

14. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    I've never tried to flatten a guard. I'm assuming apply heat, do some light bending and then leave it under heavy uniform weight?

There's some cool suggestions here for replacements too. The best thing about P bass pickguards is they're very plentiful.

15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Abalone would probably look nice on it.

16. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    No question bout it:

91iYMiTnAZL._AC_SX425_.jpg

17. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Y'all are coming up with some cool pickguard ideas!

jamro217 likes this.
  18. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Nice bass, congrats! You must have been just waiting for the L&M stores to reopen on Friday, eh? I haven't yet made it to my local store since it reopened but I am hoping they might have one of these in stock for me to try.

19. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    As for a suggestion, I'd consider black pearl. I think the black pickguard you have on now is nice, but the black pearl will have that black colour as well as the silverish tones that should work well with that finish. Here's a black pearl pickguard I just got to put on my Cutlass bass:

20210525_215600.jpg

Tmw2011, Murch, zie and 2 others like this.
  20. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    I was there first thing Friday and Sunday.:thumbsup: I wasn't the only one either. They were very busy both times.

I learned that on the site you can sort it to show stock at a preferred store. That's how I learned they got my bass in. It both ruins and enhances the bass shopping experience. lol

N4860 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021