NBD: Silver and gold

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BBassBassington, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Stock

90 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Tort

21 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. White

9 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Silver Sparkle

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Anodized gold

22 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Sell all your possessions and invest in carrots

16 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    That does look really good, and you've clearly got great colour sense. I love the Stingray in your avatar!

2. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Thanks! I definitely prefer some pretty unique colours. I'm not usually too into standard colours like sunbursts and all black instruments as I find them boring but for whatever reason I do really like shades of grey.

BBassBassington likes this.
  3. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I'll have to check that out to see what my local store has in stock. I still just like to stop in and play random basses though. Which store do you go to? I am in Waterloo which doesn't have the greatest L&M but the Cambridge one is decent.

4. Spectre Gunner

Spectre Gunner Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    The only pickguard color better than black is either Black Pearloid or Black Abalone #35. If it is truly silver then (you can never tell for sure with an internet photo, for technical reasons that I'll explain in a later post) that is a neutral color and therefore any color will go with it and you can pick "Any Colour You Like" just like the Pink Floyd song says. Nice looking bass and limited to just one year.

5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I’ve got the same model.
    It is silver , but also takes on or has gold at certain angles and lighting.

6. is that a jazz neck? looks kinda narrow.

7. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    Black is just classy. Fender calls the finish diamond but I say it's champagne sparkle. Just beautiful.
    Is this basically a Player with a custom paint job?
    Fender says the pickups are accurate reproductions of 50s split Ps. Isn't that what the Vintera pickups are? Someone at Fender needs to make up their mind...:)

8. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

The paint looks like it's iridescent, changes color depending on the light. I think the black guard matches well.

9. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I would leave the pickguard but swap the hardware out for black

10. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Something satin. High gloss is just to blingy.

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i voted "stock" --- looks great the way it is --- but a bunch of the suggestions look/sound great, too. it's a nice looking, sparkly ax, OP! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Nuage420 and BBassBassington like this.
  12. I would keep it stock but black ou thte hardware :)
    Congrats on the new bass !

Nuage420 and BBassBassington like this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I vote: mint

I’ve got an Inca Silver CV 60s Squier JB. Ordered it from Sweetwater. It came with a mint pickguard. From the description and the photo I thought I’d be swapping it out the day I got it. But once it arrived, it turned out I thought it was one of the better color combinations Fender ever came up with. So it’s remained silver and mint. :thumbsup:

14. sxaxsx

sxaxsx

May 23, 2012
    Harrisburg PA
    I don't think you can beat black. The bass already has enough glitter and shine as is.

15. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    I too prefer the less standard colours and finishes. Black and grey can be pretty nice too, especially to have some colour splashed in.

I don't want to publicly give away my location but I will say I've been to both those L&Ms and I agree. I also like to still check out the stock in person. It's a great experience. Though I will say I just window shopped the basses and guitars both times. Most people seemed to be doing the same, and then just playing a small selection of instruments.

Seeing as you are near by how the heck do you find such nice basses? lol Sometimes it feels like we're the world capitol of the standard bass colours.

16. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Nope, it's a Precision neck. A Jazz neck would have been cool to put on these.

17. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    It's a Player with a custom paint job, Vintera pickups, and a gig bag. :)

andare likes this.
  18. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    I can see silver and mint looking good together. I have a mint guard and I do not like it with this silver. I think it's because it doesn't work with the gold. So when the colour shifts with the light it stops working. Straight silver and mint though would be neat!

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

There’s also mint and then there’s mint. I’ve seen it vary from blueish, to greenish, to yellowish depending on its age and the degree of sunlight it gets regularly exposed to. My own mint pickguard is (currently) more on the bluer side of the spectrum so that probably has a lot to do with it.

20. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I've used Reverb a few times, that's usually the easiest way to find some of the rarer colours. My pink champagne sparkle stingray was bought from L&M though so they do sometimes get some cool ones in, but usually they are just available online and have to be ordered to your local store. I've also found some cool stuff at Cosmo Music.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021