1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: silver sparkle pearloid bound reverse tele Big Blade five string!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JGR, May 8, 2018.

1. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I think sparkle basses deserve their own threads! :)

I've been wanting to build a bass with these aesthetics for quite some time. I got the last bits yesterday to finish it up and am quite pleased with the results thus far. Finished weight is 8.75 lbs.

Here are the specs:

Neck:
    - 34" scale, roasted maple, medium/slim asymmetric profile, graphite reinforcement, finished with gun stock wax, 1.875" nut
    Fingerboard:
    - Wenge, small SS frets
    Body
    - light swamp ash with forearm, tummy, and neck heel contours, deep cutaway for upper fret access
    Electronics
    - Nordstrand Big Blades (clean and clear), passive V-V-Tonestyler
    Hardware
    - Hipshot Kickass bridge set to 18.5mm spacing, Gotoh Resolite tuners, Dunlop strap locks, tele input jack, Dingwall string trees (they look so cool, and are nice and compact for the tele headstock).

Initial Impressions:
    I really like the Big Blades - they appear to have a bit more output than some of the other Nordy models, and are a little dirtier/grindier sounding (in a very good way). I've always liked ceramic magnet pickups - the top end often has a nice high mid/lower treble bite, kind of like a maple board, versus alnico which has more top end air, more akin to say an ebony board. The Big Blades give a nice meaty pick sound, and the top end is not at all harsh or clanky. Very even output across all the strings. Running the pair full up is very balanced tonally, without the big mid scoop you get with some dual pickup arrangements. The Tonestyler in the first position (bypassed) isn't overly bright with these pickups - it works very well, as does the second position (I never use a tone knob, but I like to be able to alternate between the different loadings). I shielded the pickup and control cavities with copper foil, and connected the pickup cavities to the control cavity. Used a star ground system. Everything is very quiet, even with one pickup solo'd.

I'm also a big fan of the Gotoh Resolite tuners - great looking, very light. I installed them on a slight angle which I think looks cool.

It is strung with a balanced set of EB Cobalt rounds, 40-135, tuned down a half step.

Rock-N-Roll!

IMG_1225.JPG IMG_1224.JPG IMG_1222.JPG IMG_1216.JPG IMG_1220.JPG IMG_1221.JPG IMG_1218.JPG

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    tubatodd, fretno, Ductapeman and 77 others like this.
  2. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Extremely cool.

wmmj, Bioflava, St_G and 1 other person like this.
  3. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    Stunning! Like it a lot. Congrats!

wmmj, REMBO and JGR like this.
  4. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I don't think I am flashy enough for that bass. Must look great under stage lighting.

5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Very nice attention to detail, well done!drool The binding is slick. That beauty deserves a cool headstock decal, imho.

Can you give more details on the stylish string retainers? Or, I could just read thru the gory details provided.:D

wmmj and moonshinegtrs like this.
  6. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Dingwall!! They were the final piece of the puzzle that arrived yesterday. Worth waiting for IMO!

five7, moonshinegtrs and 2saddleslab like this.
  7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Very, very nice!

JGR likes this.
  8. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    JGR likes this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

you might be right about a sparkle bass thread! it's a beauty! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

JGR likes this.
  10. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Very nice!
    Great score, kudos

JGR likes this.
  11. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Normally I heap scorn and derision on five-strings - but this has A DOUBLE HELPING OF AWESOMENESS!! :thumbsup:

wmmj and JGR like this.
  12. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Cool AF.

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

13. mistermikev

mistermikev

Nov 3, 2015
    who are you ziggy stardust??? jk, that is cool af.

JGR, kobass and Christine like this.
  14. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    The binding looks stunning with the paint, the cavity cover too, shame to hide it. I'd be very pleased if that were mine!

I have the same bridge (4 string version) on my Jazz, very pleased with it after a couple of years use

JJR58 and JGR like this.
  15. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    Just a shame it ain't nicked! "The bitter comes out better..."

mistermikev and JJR58 like this.
  16. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    outstanding

JGR likes this.
  17. Kriegs

Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    Hey, @armyadarkness , it sparkles AND it's a 5 stringer.

*grabs popcorn and waits to see if a human head exploding in New Jersey can be heard from Massachusetts*

armyadarkness and JGR like this.
  18. WOW, what a Doozzy! 1st class build all the way!
    Really, the appointments, SPARKLE knobs, wth, custom neck plate, string trees.
    For me, your attention to detail speaks volumes, top of my list of outstanding builds of the year!

mikewalker and JGR like this.
  19. Silver sparkle is a cool finish. Especially under stage lights. I had ansilver sparkle SR5
    0CD0462F-C263-457F-83C4-9F9B4B402A39.jpeg AD6C749C-1086-433D-8639-DA6BE1EB7839.jpeg 4195E937-7826-4025-8BBB-01E87AA6198C.jpeg

JGR, JIO and kobass like this.
  20. 4SG

4SG Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Wow! That's a unique look. The fretboard looks cool, and so does the custom neck plate. Not too many silver sparkle jobs out there that look as complete as this one. Congrats and enjoy it.

JGR likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021