1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Sire V7 5 string - natural Ash. Wow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krovx, Mar 2, 2018.

1. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    For the longest time I did not want to like Sires. Couldn't believe for the money that it would be a quality instrument, even if it had MM's stamp of approval. I know how much it would cost to put something together with Warmoth parts etc, and thought the electronics and hardware would be meh, even if the build was decent.

As I looked more it had all the specs I wanted. Love vintage Radius and frets, not many production 5ers with it. Great look to boot. However, most of them were heavy. 10-12 lbs being common. My busted shoulder is sensitive to that so I could never preorder one. TB has spoiled me and I have a hard time remembering the last time I bought a brand new piece of gear.

Well, a seller on reverb had new one at 9.5 lbs and I decided to pull the trigger. Got a great deal and he included a nice strap.

I am shocked at how nice it is. This price point shouldn't sound and feel this good. I am amazed at the quality. There are a lot of knobs and it was quite intuitive and I quickly was getting all the jazz style tones I know and love. Cheaper preamps tend to show off their flaws with sounding odd, where an Aguilar is just raw boosted goodness. It isn't an Aguilar, but it don't sound cheap either. Consider me a huge fan. If you're not a snob, and the older I get the less I am, this is a great Jazz fix. Maybe a tort guard in the future?

I thought maybe I could lighten it up by going with hipshot ultralite tuners. These stock ones are nice and only weigh 72g, where typical Fender styles can weigh 110g.

Overall, happy. It balances great and sounds and plays as good as it looks. A few quick shots:

IMG_20180302_112459. IMG_20180302_112355. IMG_20180302_112426.

2. Looks great. Congrats

krovx likes this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I agree wholeheartedly with you on all except one point.

The fact that Sire was able to do this says to me, All basses at this price point should be this good!

4. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Middleman Distribution takes a big cut. Still amazed with this bass. Can't put it down.

bholder likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a beautiful bass and that bridge looks super nice considering the Sire V7’s price point.

krovx and bholder like this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Kind of funny how a couple of years ago, the "imports are :poop:" naysayers would jump on every positive Sire thread and go on about how they couldn't possibly be as good as claimed. Well, that wasn't so funny - what's funny is how they've all pretty much shut up now. :D

Snibborwocky and seamus bass like this.
  7. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    True that!

8. Very very pretty!!!

9. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I honestly would have been okay with a vintage style bridge. The features are incredible for sure.

You know, can't lie I may have been in a similar boat. I would not rain on someone's parade. I have read enough ' SX as good as my MIA' threads to roll my eyes. Granted, the SXs I tried we're great for the money. I am not a snob but realistic. The fretwork on this rivals some instruments I owned that were twice as much. It's stupid what CNC has done to this field. My buddy asked me what's the difference between an American and someone else in the world loading a part into the machine and pushing a button. Granted, I respect craftsmanship and there are some amazing instruments I wish I could afford. Hard for me to justify spending thousands on a bolt on parts bass, YMMV.

Dr. Cheese and bholder like this.
  10. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Congrats on the beautiful bass.

I have a Pedulla, pre-Gibson Tobias, Roscoe, and a USA G&L... and a Sire P7. It hangs with that crowd. :D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    krovx, Dr. Cheese and bholder like this.
  11. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Funny thing. Shortly after getting my P7 I took a pic of the body and sent it to a fellow Talkbass member and asked him if he could guess what my new bass was. The headstock wasn't in the pic. He knows I typically buy high end basses. He guessed Alleva, Lull, Bass Mods, and a couple others I forget... And was amazed when I said Sire!

krovx, Dr. Cheese and bholder like this.
  12. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Looks great! Congrats on your purchase.

krovx and FenderB like this.
  13. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Beautiful.

krovx likes this.