1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD! Solidbody u-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flippy, Jul 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    I may now sound like a hypocrite because not so long ago I preached about having as little gear as possible :angel:

It was put up for sale online, with auction starting at 800PLN (about $215 as of today) and "buy it now" price of 1500PLN... I kept my eye on that bass for a few days and finally bidded in the last 30s. I decided that if I didn't like it, I could try to sell it for profit.

Well, it didn't get any other bids and I kind of like it so far. There are a few issues, but playing the u-bass is fun.

I expected it to be difficult to fret because the strings would roll a lot, but it turns out that's not the case. However, fretting past the 12th fret is a challenge because the frets are so close together. I hope it's a matter of practice.

I had to rub some candle wax in the nut to help the bass stay in tune. I also tried to improve the intonation by adjusting the bridge, but this didn't help much and even introduced some fret "buzz". The bridge has wedge-shaped saddles of variable angle; probably to help with intonation, but unfortunately G and D are sharp at the 12th fret. I wonder if these wedges are movable..?

In the back, there's a magnetic backplate (neat!) hiding a PCB powered by a pill battery. The strings go through body, especially the E string as you will see in the picture :roflmao:

I also recorded a little track. It really sounds like I need to get used to playing on this toy-scale with spaghetti strings... ;)

Attached Files:

winterburn69 and TolerancEJ like this.
  2. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Definitely just a matter of practice. You'll get used to it. I have an acoustic U-Bass, it's fantastic.