1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD!!!!! Something very Xotic for ya...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris.gotfunk, Dec 14, 2011.

1. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Got this used for a great price (I think so at least). I love it so far. Have rehearsal tomorrow so I am excited to hear how it sits. Since we record them, it will be a good gauge of how well it does.

This is my b-day/Xmas gift to myself.

On to the pics.

photo1-3.

photo2-3.

photo3-3.

photo4-2.

2. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    :eek:

OOD likes this.
  3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Very, very nice.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Nice. Looks like 3band eq stock. Unusual looking pups. Who makes it? No headstock pic to show us maker name. Congrats on new bass.

5. Xotic Guitars and Basses is the maker. They've been makin' some b-i-g headway as of late. I bet ol' Roger S. is lookin' over his shoulder,for sure.

6. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    I just realized I didn't put the make or model. It is an Xotic XJ-1T. Built in August 2009. I think the pups are Lindy Fralin's, 3 band eq, passive tone control, push pull on middle chrome knob puts it into PHAT humbucker mode and a push pull active passive. There are also two dip switches on the back for mid freq. The newer models have the switches next to the bridge. This bass sounds great. Very versatile. Goes from vintage jazz bass to modern jazz bass in a blink. Good weight. Maybe 9lbs, nice neck and a solid instrument. The bass has not one scratch or ding. The guy that had it was a guitar player/collector. The bass still has the plastic on the back cover.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    O ok, Ive heard of Xotic before, a friend back home plays one of their guitars. very nice,

8. GHOST AT

GHOST AT

May 24, 2011
    Wonderful Xotic Chris!! The demos with Chuck Rainey sound incredible. If i had not acquired my Celinder this would have been the bass i bought .May you two be together for a long time.

9. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Thank you. I enjoy it so far. The B string is incredible on this thing. I am blown away by it.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The pickups are Lindy Fralin single coils and the pre is the EWS Tri-Logic Bass Preamp.

And the Xotic J basses are very versatile for sure.

Xotic endorser.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The Xotic may indeed be a great bass; I've not played one personally.

I doubt Roger S is sweating it much; his brand is pretty firmly established, and for fairly good reason.

Xotic pricing, from what I can find, seems to be in line with the Metro line...

12. harrybosch

harrybosch Banned

Aug 18, 2008
    Congrats on the new bass, it looks great. Not to turn this into a Sadowsky vs. Xotic thread but....;) if I had to choose I'd go with the Xotic everytime, even against the NYC Sad's.

13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Hard to tell from the pictures - is that candy apple red or is it more orange.

14. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Yes... :)

It's more red, but I call it tangerine blood metallic...

It is a different animal than the Sadowsky. Both very good at what they do. I still love Sadowsky more than just about every bass out there. This Xotic is quickly climbing my charts though.

15. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    So, I gigged this last night and it was a true gem to play. I still need to get a better feel for the best eq settings, but it was very enjoyable to play. The B string is insane!!!!!!!