1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD! Sonic Blue Squier CV '60s P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by itsnottruerufus, Jan 6, 2012.

1. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

Apr 13, 2011
    Bought from another TB Member (Thanks mophead!)
    So far, I love it, the neck is incredible and the action and fretwork is just as nice as my MIA Jazz (it also seems I prefer the smaller fretwire). Sonic Blue is one of my all time favorite fender colors, and with the pearloid pickguard on it its freaking beautiful. Had my worries about the basswood body, but it seems to be pretty solid. Stocks strings with definitely be replaced ASAP though.

I'm absolutely amazed at what squier is doing these days!

P.S. I know, no pics, no bass, I'll try and get some up asap.

2. Congrats! I love mine too. They're great basses.

3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Congrats in advance of picture-proof! ;) Another Sonic blue fan here. I thought about a white pearl guard but decided to go more non-traditional with black abalone. Are you using flats or rounds on yours?

P1120757.

4. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

Apr 13, 2011
    Thanks! Its got the stock rounds on it right now, but I'm gonna be putting some D'addario "Bright" rounds on it pretty soon for a nice cutting tone.

Here are some crappy cell phone pics for proof, plus its newest friend!

Attached Files:

5. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    You'll have another "new bass day" when you get those new strings on. The stock ones are very underwhelming to say the least. I have some Ken Smith Rockmasters on mine which are similar to early Roto's and work well for me. :cool:

6. 123321

123321 Bravely eating @ MacDonald's Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Virginia
    I think the nod to "early" Rotosounds was something I was looking for... Say the Rockmasters are more like older Rotos (they are different now somehow)...

Cool Bass!! Posts like this make me want to start investigating one of these...

7. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    That CV is a good lookin' bass. I want one.

8. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    Looks great. how does it play?

9. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I have never actually used Rotos. A guy from another forum who has used them for years made this observation/comparison. They do feel and sound good. :cool:

10. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    The bestbuy in Kendall FL has 2 available

11. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

Apr 13, 2011
    Fantastically!
    The action is super low with no buzzing, the neck is nice and glossy but not sticky at all, and the thing sustains like crazy.
    Pickups are nice and loud too.

Both me and my bandmates were floored by how great it sounded in practice today.

12. Hey Ken, where did you get the black abalone pickguard? I bought one from WD Music a while back for my Jazz, but since the Squier is an unusual fit, I was wondering where it came from? Did you have to have it custom made?

13. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Yeah, same in Seattle...priced waaaay lower than the normal $350, both sonic blue. I almost pulled the trigger on one of them. Both had been marked down to $263.99. After Thanksgiving, they went on sale in Dec. for an additional 10% off, lowering it to 238.99. One has since been sold and the other is back to the "original" markdown price. I may grab the remaining one yet...