1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD soon. It's a Maestro, Ric5!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1bassleft, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Just triggered on a Maestro lefty MM5:
    $T2eC16hHJGkE9no8jDMsBRPrPD(Fkg~~60_57.

Typically, when I searched for ops on the Maestro, Talkbass came up trumps. What swung it for me is when Ric5 posted his liking for it over the OLP. I bought an OLP MM3 for my son, and like it, but they never did a lefty 5 so this is what I've gone for.

I have a genyooine EBMM5 triple coil ready, and my parts bag also has a Lace J5 (Slakland designs in my head), piezo bridge, SD 3-band eq or EMG BTC. I'm waiting for US-UK shipping while I consider what to do. On the OLP, a simple pup replacement, dpdt switch and BTC worked wonders.

Soldering iron ready :hyper:

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I really like Stingray clones.

I have owned 4.

One is my SX stingray. Ernie Ball shut these down pretty quickly. http://www.3dentourage.com/425/sx-mm5.htm My SX ray had a defective preamp and an s-curved neck. But the body resonates all day long. So I got a replacement SX neck and I put in a Seymour Duncan preamp and it now nails the Ernie Ball stingray tone.

Another was a Dillion. I was not too impressed with that bass so I sold it. Sorry no pics.

Another was the olp 5. This bass was also a dissapointment. http://www.3dentourage.com/425/olp-mm5.htm

And the 4th is my Maestro. http://www.3dentourage.com/425/maestro-mm5.htm This bass did not come with a string tree. So I added one. I also added straploks. The wiring wasn't working too well so I put in a 4 band Audere preamp. I also added a battery box. I wired the pickup so the balance control sweeps from single to parallel humbucker to single. The maestro does not nail the stingray tone but it has a really nice tone of its own. But with a Seymour Duncan preamp it would probably get more of a stingray tone. Also with the stock pickup you can add a 3 way toggle and toggle between series/single/parallel. Yau couls also add a 2nd mm pickup or a single coil jazz pickup.

3. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Also the neck will probably need some fret leveling and fret dressing.

4. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    The Maestro needs help out of the box, but with a little work you have a good looking and good playing bass.

5. Thanks for the advice. I saw your previous posts about the Maestro and it helped me decide to go ahead. As said, I quite liked the tricked-up OLP so I have high hopes for this.

I bought it after abandoning a self-build so I've got a heap of things and probably have to decide. I'm prepared to rout for the triple coil EB (notice the lefty Maestro has the pup upside down to save on remodelling the 'guard?). My build was based around the EB pup, so that's a definite. The series/para/single switch, or a push-pull tap knob, is also a def. I'd like to put in the Lace J5 to give another option (Jazz neck pup is one of my faves).

The only other thing is that I got a piezo bridge + powerchip for the self-build but plate holes start to run out and it will look a bit odd on a 'ray copy. I could live without it.

I have two possible preamps in my bag; the Seymour or the EMG BTC. The SD kindof limits me to just the MM pup whereas the BTC opens up add-ons. I was happy with the BTC in the OLP but I've never installed the SD. Would I deeply regret settling for the BTC, especially with the EBMM5? I'm not much of a slapper, if that shades opinions.

6. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
  7. I have one. A shop clearout of a ceramic 4 and that preamp for £30 BIN - seemed rude not to ;). I notice your link says it doesn't work with the triple-coil :confused:, bummer.

8. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I used the stock pickup and I am happy with it.

9. Leave it to Ric5 to throw buckets of fuel onto my already raging GAS fire. That black and maple thang is too much.

10. I'll have a play with it, but I have a different agenda for the Maestro; it's more of a mule to carry the parts and I'd really want it to carry the Ernie Ball pup. Good to know that the instrument itself is a good basis for working with and looks very neat, too.

11. Bass arrived and a very good buy at 136 bucks. The string and pole spacing is considerably narrower than my "real" EB5 triple coil but the same as the OLP 5 and the Warman pup I used to replace that.

I'm wondering whether such a lot of hassle to put in the EB pup (different bridge etc) is really worth it. I put in the Warman (cheap) pup and a BTC on an OLP and was very happy with the result. Just as you said, Ric5, there are some fret ends (actually only a couple on the treble side) to dress and quite a few lift-outs causing buzz to sort out. Along with a new nut, it's actually worth paying a tech for a good setup but it'll be a very good bass with not much effort or outlay.

12. got the exact same one as pictured at the top of the thread, and i am happy with it thusfar. THe nut seems a little on the awful side, and i had a broken solder joint at one of the pots, but for the price, it is to be expected. New strings immediately woke this thing up.

13. Yes, forgot to mention that the stock strings are awful things best given to the cheese cutter at your local deli. At the price, though, name brand strings can't be expected.