1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! (Sort of)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KickingBass, Apr 3, 2015.

1. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Hey everybody this is my first NBD post. I bought this bass off a TBr and only had it for a few hours before I took it to a tech to get modded. It's got a new pick guard, tuned to BEAD and has an Aguilar HC jazz pickup. Like three weeks later I FINALLY got it back from the tech and here it is. However I was just playing it and I noticed that if I turn down all the tone knobs to off I can still hear the bass through the amp. Does this mean the preamp is off? How is this different than bypassing the eq or having a passive instrument? Just curious to hear from those who know.

Attached Files:

2. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    No if that's an active p bass special you're cutting the bass mid and treble as far as they go which I think is -10dB. It doesn't have a preamp bypass I'm sure if you wanted it it could be added.

3. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    To add to that, the preamp in the center detent would be the preamp adding nothing to your signal. Its not the same as full bypass but effectively similar.

KickingBass likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    If that sounds as good as it looks...wow!

KickingBass likes this.
  5. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Cool, thanks. I am considering putting a bypass switch in in the future and maybe an American neck one day.

friendlybass likes this.
  6. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

I'm still getting used to it and fiddling with eq and such but yeah I'm starting to get it to sound really nice for rock, the p pickup is aggressive and gives it a nice grind sound that works well with my sansamps overdrive

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    What kind of strings?

8. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Dunlop nickel plated. I really like Dunlops, they just feel right on my fingers and not overly bright. I always like to recommend them. I also have some DR DDT I'll probably try on it in the future

9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yup, active not like passive "wide open" means "flat, in the center detente" not "turned all the way clockwise".

friendlybass and KickingBass like this.